Bear (seizures) is now at Peace <3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little anxious, has there been any improvement?

No seizures yet...he seemed very agitated over the first few days on phenobarbitol like he was on the edge or had just had one...but finally that is settling as well. He was also very aggressive with Bruce, who would just sigh and put up with the agitated power grooming and mounting...I think he knew his brother didn't really mean it. In the first week or 2, sometimes the phenobarbitol becomes less effective as the body gets used to it, and the dose needs to be increased so I am watching for that. But his crazy thirst and always eating has slowed down, he seems more like Bruce (a regular rat) than before :D We are working hard on getting that URI under control but slowly slowly it's working. He's wonderful about taking his pheno from the syringe twice a day which makes life easier for me as well :D

No seizures yet...he seemed very agitated over the first few days on phenobarbitol like he was on the edge or had just had one...but finally that is settling as well. He was also very aggressive with Bruce, who would just sigh and put up with the agitated power grooming and mounting...I think he knew his brother didn't really mean it. In the first week or 2, sometimes the phenobarbitol becomes less effective as the body gets used to it, and the dose needs to be increased so I am watching for that. But his crazy thirst and always eating has slowed down, he seems more like Bruce (a regular rat) than before :D We are working hard on getting that URI under control but slowly slowly it's working. He's wonderful about taking his pheno from the syringe twice a day which makes life easier for me as well :D

That is so good to hear!! :happydance: Thank you!

Seizures came back last night...I have increased the dosage of the phenobarb and on advice of some medical people I know, I am picking up melatonin as well. Poor Bear :( I really need diazepam but I am not sure Dr Munn will give it to me.

praying the increase helps. Curious about melatonin, it's used to help regulate sleep cycles which are often way off in ppl with bipolar disorder like me.
other meds that help ppl with bipolar disorder are anti seizure meds like depakote and lamictal etc. They work best for the manic phase but can help prevent the depressive phase or mixed states

interesting that the same meds used for seizures work for bipolar disorder. some believe bipolar disorder is a disturbance of the sleep/wake cycles and is heavily influenced by exposure to light (so much so, they use both light and dark therapy for it)

I wonder how that links up with seizure disorders, which I always thought were caused by a problem wiht the brain's electrical system...?

Have you had his inner ears checked? I had a rat with very similar issues. My Vet found a insect in his ear that had burrowed down deep in to his ear and caused an abcess. He had it when I got him from a friend who found him wondering around in his yard. Unfortunately, by the time it was found, it had spread to his brain and he passed away rather quickly. I hope you find an answer. I know it sounds crazy, but, a friend has a dog with seizure issues. Medication didn't work and he was facing having to say goodbye to his best friend. Marijuana saved the dog's life and know he's healthy, happy and full of life, as long as he gets his dose of Marijuana. I'm no expert on the stuff because I only tried it a few times in my teens; however, I have an uncle who has suffered from Epilepsy since birth. He started using Marijuana when he was 10 to treat it and he has no seizures if he uses in on a regular schedule. My friend vaporizes it, somehow and it saved his dog's life.

Marijuana high in CBD and low in THC has been found to help a significant number of people with seizures.
They give it orally as an oil to babies and young children suffering from seizures.
Stress is a huge trigger for seizures in many people

Hope Bear responds positively to the meds he is getting and that his seizures are soon controlled
It must be very difficult as seizure medications have really horrible "side effects"

I too have heard that allot of people who have kids with epilepsy will move their families to states where it is legal because it seems to be the one thing that helps them. But I do think that finding out the cause of seizures is best. Glad he's gotten 2 nights of rest [emoji16] yeah for bear

I wasn't able to update yesterday but in the morning I heard a "whap whap whap" sound, rushed to the cage and found Bear violently logrolling. I pulled him out and he seemed to recover fast. Went for a drink, then plunged his face in the oldies baby cereal. I tried to pay him and he bolted. When I finally picked him up he tried to bite me and I noticed he had lost control of his bowels. I have an email into Dr. Munn for advice, more meds.

Last night he got his first 5 mg/kg melatonin and he had no seizures.

Latest posts

Back