Bear (seizures) is now at Peace <3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if any of you have seen a new show on Nat Geo Wild called Dr. K's exotic vet - its not too bad, but they had an episode where a guinea pig kept having seizure that were do to low blood sugar which was secondary to something I cannot remember. This is the episode, don't know if it will help since obviously they are different. Bad outcome for the pig though

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi475377433/

I couldn't see the video, but I did find this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1082877/

2 guinea pigs with an insulinoma, a tumour that secretes insulin, considered rare in guinea pigs

according to the Merck manual, g pigs often get diabetes but do not need insulin, I have no idea how that works, I mean, how do they treat them?
"Spontaneous diabetes mellitus is common in guinea pigs. The clinical manifestations are mild or variable. Guinea pigs show polydipsia and weight loss while maintaining a good appetite. Hematology and urinalysis show glycosuria, hyperglycemia, and elevated serum triglycerides; ketonemia and ketonuria are not seen. Exogenous insulin is not required for survival."
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/exotic_and_laboratory_animals/rodents/guinea_pigs.html

(note the Merck manual doesnt' even mention insulinomas in gpigs, they are apparently that rare)

I haven't found anything that says rats can get an insulinoma naturally (there's an article about causing one that you can transplant in a research paper abstract)
but since there's a first time for everything......
it's not out of the question but I wouldn't think of it as being at the top of the list. :/

any word from Dr Munn's office? oh wait, it's still Sunday, is'nt it? :p
I am on off hours, sleeping during the day, up at night, so the days seem twice as long to me lately lol

Good thing Bear is having good days because I found out Dr Munn was not in on Saturday or is in today, so they will make sure he sees my email/videos first thing tomorrow and they will call me :(

Good news, Bear and Bruce will be dropped off to the clinic tomorrow :)

It's going to be a crazy next little while...Bear/Bruce on Tuesday, Milo/Ollie for neuters on Thurs., then hopefully Templeton's URI is clear enough on Monday for his neuter.

Good news, Bear and Bruce will be dropped off to the clinic tomorrow :)

It's going to be a crazy next little while...Bear/Bruce on Tuesday, Milo/Ollie for neuters on Thurs., then hopefully Templeton's URI is clear enough on Monday for his neuter.

:thumbsup:
I assume Bruce is going for support? He's a good big brother!

Anxious to hear what it is/might be and what can be done for Bear.

Fingers and paws crossed for Bear and all the others this week.

Thanks Godmother.

Unfortunately, Oliver has come up with a URI so its only Milo for a neuter on Thursday. and I just lost sweet old Lark from HH, and Liam my ratty tatty old man is leaving now with sudden onset PT...sucks.

Can I stay home?

No not Liam, the gorgeous rexy that's my Curley (RIP my love) identical clone! I love that boy .... easy passing my precious boy [emoji22]

OK it seems that Bear was in full blown panic mode when they tried to examine him and he started open mouth gasping, his URI flared up (sounded a lot worse than normal) and Dr Munn was more concerned about his lungs and wanted me to leave them overnight and x-ray his lungs tomorrow. I said No, I would come pick up the boys tonight.
My guess is they missed a seizure and he was in that hyper state afterwards when they tried to pick him up.

So Bear is having the kitchen sink thrown at him...baytril and doxy, bromocriptine (got a script, but will start with the pills I have here until I can get it filled), and dexamethasone daily. The phenobarbitol is on order and 30 ml is the minimum order with his dose will be .02 cc twice a day. They will call me tomorrow with the price. Bear I think is happy we are home.

I rewatched the episode and the guinea pig was septic from a blood infection that was affecting the kidneys and making it so it could not regulate its blood sugar that's why it was seizing.

I hold that poor guy gets some relief.

oh wow how did i miss so much? sorry things didn't go that well at the vets. he's gotta be happy to be home and hopefully one or more of those multiple meds will do the trick

poor fella

I rewatched the episode and the guinea pig was septic from a blood infection that was affecting the kidneys and making it so it could not regulate its blood sugar that's why it was seizing.

I hold that poor guy gets some relief.

wow, that's something about the guinea pig, i hope they were able to help him.

Oh Buddy Bear :( what a tough go. So glad he's got lots of help. How is Bruce doing in all this? Couldn't have been good to see his brother like that in a strange place.

Back