Bear (seizures) is now at Peace <3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Buddy Bear :( what a tough go. So glad he's got lots of help. How is Bruce doing in all this? Couldn't have been good to see his brother like that in a strange place.

Bruce is being awesome! He's confident and calm for his "little" brother :)
I love Brucey :D

They asked me to pull him out of the kennel he was in last night. At first he was wary but then he realized I wasn't "them" and ran and cuddled his head under the crook of my elbow. I got them home and put him right in his cage...at first he seemed a bit shellshocked...

Jan615BearhomefromthevetwithBrucebelow.jpg~original

But a little while later he was enjoying stroking and I got my very first Bear Kiss :heart:

Jan615Bear.jpg~original

So the weirdest thing is going on...I am not noticing any overt seizures but the stress from yesterday kicked his URI up into full gear. I'll take the weekend to observe him again closely. I'll get the phenobarbitol next week but will hold off if there is no seizure activity, but I'll be ready to start treatment. He's taking his antibiotics like a good boy!

I am wondering if stress sets him off, and/or infection?

I was thinking stress... because it seems like he may now know that he's got a forever home with you, and he knows and trusts you, so he is less stressed...?

just my thinking,from how you described him when you picked him up from the vets. He may have realized at that point that you were always going to keep him safe.

Glad to see he's doing better. Like I mentioned, the seizures/low blood sugar in that guinea pig were caused by an infection. Perhaps your on to something with the antibiotics.

Just started following this thread, so crazy, hope they're feeling better. My dog had seizures but she had a heart murmur so whenever she got excited or stressed shed totally have a huge seizure, hope things go better from now on.

Bear is happily confusing me. His brother Bruce seems to be more willing to pin and power groom him, which makes me think he knows his brother is doing better. He's the one lying in the big flat hammock up top which he never would have even tried to get to before...keeping as low to the ground was his only aim. I keep hearing thumps behind me and look quickly back to see if he's seizing, and instead the little beggar was hopping heavily around...then he ran to the peep hole and was bruxxing :eek:mg2:

He was standing and lying on Bruce (who was lying down on the shelf) licking his fur and a bit of gentle grooming with his teeth...he's losing his always worried expression :D

The phenobarb is in at the clinic and I'll pick it up on Monday but won't start him on it unless I see any new seizure activity. His breathing also seems to have improved a lot, and he's just plain happier/brighter :toothy2:

Jan1015BearonBruce.jpg~original

That sounds a lot more like Bear! I miss those fuzzy noses :)

What kind of infection would it be? Just wondering if it's hereditary, how it started and if it was something I did wrong. A tumor or something else in his brain can't really be avoided but if there's something I can avoid or keep a better eye on in the future then I would like to know.

That sounds a lot more like Bear! I miss those fuzzy noses :)

What kind of infection would it be? Just wondering if it's hereditary, how it started and if it was something I did wrong. A tumor or something else in his brain can't really be avoided but if there's something I can avoid or keep a better eye on in the future then I would like to know.

Nothing to do with you hun. Rats get the weirdest of things...for all we know he had an infection in his brain, or he's diabetic, or its all related to stress. At this point its going to be watch and wait, because as you know, they came back before.

So glad to hear little Bear is having good days! Hoping many more good days for him. He has definitely been in great hands with both You and TheHermit.

Sigh...I saw Bruce hop onto the top of the decker and was doing something to Bear on the grass hut below him...then I saw Bruce pounce on Bear (I assume he fell off the hut and Bruce was upset and "attacking" him...I got him off and pulled out Bear in the midst of a mild seizure..about 5 mins later he had another one in my arms...poor lovey.

Back