ZGT please help!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Haley H

Hi everyone, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this. I have a three year old male rat named Pennymouse. About two weeks ago I discovered a lump between his ear and jawbone. So I started researching and of course came across various abscesses, cysts, and tumors. I come from a very small town, and we don’t have a vet that specializes in small pets such as rats etc or I would take him there. When I called locally, they basically told me they could see him and then send him to a larger hospital several hours away to find out what’s going on with him but that doesn’t exactly help me financially or efficiently. I guess I was just looking for some advice about what I should do, Ive been reading about ZGT in rats and sadly he seems to fit the description perfectly, I just want to do the best that I can for him. I plan to upload some pictures of what we’re dealing with. If anyone has experience with The situation I need all the advice I can get. I just want to know what my options are, and how to treat him or make him as comfortable as possible. At first I thought it to be an absceesed tooth, but the more I’ve read the less I’m starting to think that. One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that it’s grown very very rapidly since the time I noticed it up through now, and so far nothing seems to be coming to a head like with all the abscessed oictures and things of that nature. It’s been a little over two weeks if that. We’ll take any advice or help offered. I really appreciate it.

I’ve owned this rat since he was a baby. His eyes were barely open. To be truthful he probably wasn’t even supposed to be weaned. I saved him from becoming snake food and we’ve been tight ever since. He’s literally been part of my life for over three years and I just can’t bare to think of him in this situation it’s crushing me. I want to do anything I can to save him or at least make sure he’s not in pain. Any ideas as to what I can try or what this might be. I did notice that swelling seems to be causing his jaws to not be aligned exactly how they normally are which I no is a bad sign. He still eats and likes to be petted and lives his life like normal but I can tell the mass is starting to affect his eye on that side and he didn’t seem very happy today. He came out and laid on my hands and bruxed while I rubbed him. I just wanna help him he’s my best pal.

Attachments

• 3FF2B540-C4BE-4A23-B0E6-36E7CC7A5EA9.jpeg
    3FF2B540-C4BE-4A23-B0E6-36E7CC7A5EA9.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 127
  • DBE1D568-C82F-4A74-BF89-41017C6B1B88.jpeg
    DBE1D568-C82F-4A74-BF89-41017C6B1B88.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 5F671304-0774-4767-AB82-99A715FB5D88.jpeg
    5F671304-0774-4767-AB82-99A715FB5D88.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 125
I am so very sorry. ZGT is a nasty fast growing usually completel inoperable (best not to cut into it at all) malignant tumor that grows exactly like your boys is. If it continues to grow this fast you are going to have to have him humanely put to sleep once its too much. It can push their jaw out of alignment causing malocclusion, cause eye issues, infection in the ear canal etc.
You can give him Metacam or infant liquid ibuprofen for now and see if he seems more comfortable but his teeth will likely continue to grow fast and crookedly and you may need to consider either having them trimmed or letting him go depending on what else is going on with your old man.

I am so very sorry. ZGT is a nasty fast growing usually completel inoperable (best not to cut into it at all) malignant tumor that grows exactly like your boys is. If it continues to grow this fast you are going to have to have him humanely put to sleep once its too much. It can push their jaw out of alignment causing malocclusion, cause eye issues, infection in the ear canal etc.
You can give him Metacam or infant liquid ibuprofen for now and see if he seems more comfortable but his teeth will likely continue to grow fast and crookedly and you may need to consider either having them trimmed or letting him go depending on what else is going on with your old man.
Thank
Thank you so much for the response. He seems to be in a really good mood today so far he still eats and grooms. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain but I would imagine he couldn’t be comfortable. I’d much rather see him humanely put down than to watch him suffer. I want him to be alive as long as possible but when it gets to the point he can no longer eat and enjoy being a rat it’s only fair to him to let him go. I don’t want him to suffer. I’m gonna try to be a little bit hopeful that it’s just an abscess or something but I know deep down it probably isn’t. It’s just crazy because he has never had any health issues whatsoever No abscesses or colds absolutely nothing, and aside from the obvious growth on his face he still acts like himself. He never acted different I must noticed the lump and after that it’s continued to grow rapidly. Thank you so much for the input on this.

Back