ZGT or possible Abscess/Tumour?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephye

Dat Rat Lady
Hi guys, asking for a friend. They discovered their boy rat had a lump near his ear. He said it felt very hard and grew a bit since he discovered it. It's so far at a stable size.
0011e4bc3ee2e7b0b7911f87fd8f77a7.jpg
5aa1f2d40542970823f01af55059dbb3.jpg
f82a322081e6ab9fb049f34cfb986a6a.jpg

It kind of looks like there are puncture marks? Or some kind of wound mark?
Have they tried soaking it?
It is kind of far behind the ear compared to most ZGTs I have seen pictures of, so it's hopeful that it's just an abscess.
I would say try soaking it, see if they can get any pus to come to a head. If not, then get a fine needle aspiration from a vet.
Hope it's just an abscess and he gets better soon!!

I agree with Velo, that the location seems to be too far back for a ZGT which is a good thing!!

As for what it might be, if those 2 scabs are bite marks then it could just be a regular abscess, and compressing is the way to go. If its scabbing that is spreading over the lump then its possibly its still an abscess but not a bite one, more of a salivary gland one like my Twiggy had. I have lots of gross pics and a thread on here I can dig out if you think its more the 2nd option.

I agree, a fine needle aspiration will quickly tell what is under the skin. Fingers crossed for nasty, stinky, chunky green pus! :sick2:

Back