Zeke is sick. He's gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lina

:( Last night straight after their dinner Zeke started choking. Well I believed he was choking. Checked on the net for what I could do but everything said wait, they will work it out themselves. This morning he was still the same so I rung the vet and they said to come down, so they are puting him under to check down his throat. The vet belives there is blood mixed with the the other stuff round his nose and mouth. His eyes are clear. She is worried that since he is destessed putting him under might be the end for him :cry: But he is moving around not just huddling in a corner which the vet said is good.

Later
Zeke is at home but it is going to be touch and go whether he makes it :( . He is still breathing though his mouth but his chest and lungs sound clear. The blood is coming from one nostril only. She did feel a bit of resistance when she put the tube down that nostril. she doesn't know it was a bit of food or maybe there a tumor growing there.

I have learnt how to give injections :shock: He is not eating or drinking so he has had fluids under the skin. I have two days antiflamorys to inject him with and Baytril to inject him till he starts eating then I can give it to him in food and 5 tubes of fluids to inject into him if he doesn't start drinking. I can inject the Baytril where I have injected the fluids hopefully that will stop any burning.

Thank you for your well wishes. I feel he might be a wee bit better, but it could just be wisful thinking. I have to go to work at soon. :( It's going to be a long 5 hours I think. My daugher will be home after school to watch him.

Keep an eye on where you inject the Baytril. Necrosis and abscessing are the common concerns for that. It should be fine, but it's always better to be prepared.

The anti inflammatory should help him to get back to eating and drinking, so long as whatever was stuck has moved down or your vet removed it. You didn't mention if she found anything and/or removed it from his throat? You can offer him some soft foods, like baby cereal with a good bit of Ensure or Soy Milk to help him try and eat. Since it'll be a liquid, it may be more enticing and easier for him to eat on his own.

As for the SubQ, don't expect him to drink like he normally would while you're doing that. Because his body will be hydrated, he might not feel a need to drink even though he may be able to. Always do a pinch test to make sure he needs the fluids before giving them, and always make sure he's fully absorbed the previous session's fluids.

Best of luck to the both of you! And lots of healing to your boyo!

Oh how scary!! could it be an infection in his throat? Are you trying baytril to see if it might help shrink a mass if there is one?

thanks for your advice. He did go downhill very fast, He ate tea and one hour later he is sick. Maybe it is an infection in his throat Jo. He has tried to lick some baby food from my finger but I don't think he can swallow. :(

Javakittie thanks for telling me about the SubQ. I would have wondered why he didn't start drinking. I know that the Baytril injections may cause burns so will inject it into where I am injecting the fluids.

:( My beautiful Zeke is gone. There has ben no change in three days, the meds don't seem to be working so we went to see the vet after lunch today:(

Lina, I am so sorry. How terrible to think that he was so well just a few days ago. He was such a sweetie; we all loved him from afar.

May your memories comfort you. :hugs:

Back