Your opinion on this cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmjenn

I found this cage on e-bay for $70. The seller has a good rating and shipping is free! Bar spacing is 1/2 inch.

What do you think of it for rats? I'll be getting 2 5wk old babies sometime in March and I wanted one that's escape-proof.

cage.jpg

I realized that right after I posted!!
I just emailed him and will have the reply soon. It is labeled as a sugar glider/small animal cage. I guess the main questions I have are what do you think about it cleaning-wise and do you see anything else to be concerned about?

Dimensions of cage are 30 x 18 x 55.

Am pondering the cleaning issue! I think I could rig something up around the bottom to keep the litter contained. I am sooooooo tempted by the size and price!! Wonder if I could McGyver it somehow to have bigger doors.... hmm....

You know, I was helping my daughter clean her cage last night and I measured it for comparison. This cage would be twice as tall and a few inches wider. I don't have any problem reaching areas in her current cage and it has a similar door set up... one on each level.

Here's a link to this guy's instruction page... thought it was interesting.
http://www.lonestaratv.com/bird%20cages ... 2036-2.htm

I know a CN would be ideal... I'm going back and forth... the price being the factor, of course!

well the CN does cost more then $70 but you aren't going to be upgradeing from one a few years down the the road either... its an investment of course. with its sturdy construction, easy assembly, bar spacing and position and of course the large doors and wheels its going to fit all your needs unless you get more then 12 rats. if you only have a few in the double though you can use the splitting ability to partition off the top or bottom for a built in hospital cage too. it also seems like it would be easy enough to modifiy for the elderly and less mobile rats as well. the down side of the CN is i don't think you can make it a triple like you can with the FNs. BUT it is going to last a long long time.

this cage you are looking at is a good cage too. but it still will have less space then the CN and will become difficult for elderly rats at some point. it also has large drops that will need to be considered and hammocks strategically placed to prevent dangerous falls. the vertical bars will limit your hammock placement as well. you will also have more doors to consider when placing toys and hammocks. you will not be able to partition any of it off for special needs which means you will need to get another cage for sickies or injured rats that need to be removed from the rest of the colony for a time to recover. you will also need another cage when your rats get too old to manage this taller one.

but with a 1/2 inch bar spacing you will be able to have babies in there. and most of the rat's life will be suitable for that cage. a hospital cage and an eventual geri cage can be picked up easily from yard sales and classifieds cheaply too. you can even get the ones that can collapse on themselves for easy storage. it is a good cage and will suit the majority of the life of your rats. it has a lot of open space which leaves you open to inventive and creative cage designs and alterations.

i still consider the CN a better investment as it can suit a wider variety of needs, but for $70 that other cage is a good buy. i guess what it comes down to in the end is if you are happy with the buy. if you do buy it but still want the CN and buy that in a few months time too... well you wouldn't really save much money that way.

Well, this whole thread is irrelevent now... bought a CN from Pet Street Mall for 134.95 with free shipping!!
:happydance: (There goes my commission from my current portrait order!!! :doh: But that's OK!!)

:thumbup: You won't be sorry! When we first started out, we bought a Martin's R-695 - it's a great cage, but I just couldn't stand cleaning it! ... within a matter of months I had a double FN. :doh: Should've just gone for the FN to begin with. Oh well, live and learn. Can't wait to see pics when your cage is all set up! :joy:

Back