Your favorite toys, chews, hideouts?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

Been doing a lot of window shopping for my CN! I was wondering what some of your favorite toys, chews, hideouts, and accessories were for your cage. Maybe share some ideas for homemade toys you guys use! I've just been using boxes and throwing handfuls of toilet paper and paper towels in there. They like to sleep on them, but don't do anything else with them. Ha. Simon likes paper, if there's any on my bed he drags in back into his cage like a silly ratty. I think they need some more fun in their cage, especially once they get their CN. I plan to fill it with all sorts of fun stuff!

Is there any good online stores for rag cage toys and chews? What are your favorites? What are your rats favorite things? Shoot!

I've seen the Sputniks, I really want to get one of those! I was also thinking about the silent spinner, not sure if they'd use it though. They're lazy males.

That Savic Circus looks pretty fun!

I have the other super pet house, that' more like a house that they can sleep on top of. They like it. :)

I've got one lava ledge and I want more in my new cage! I have a wooden ledge too and they love climbing on those and into their hammocks.

I want that rope too! Right now, I just have a regular rope dog toy in there, but they're not very interested in it. I have a couple other wooden toys and a plastic cat lattice ball that they push around sometimes. Just looking for as many ideas as possible! :D

Those ropes are fun because they attach to the sides of the cage easily and I even throw mine in the washing machine. I would get a bunch :p

Other things I just thought of is plastic shower hooks. I hang them up and they like to mess with them.

OH and I have to give credit to UnePuce for this one but I buy these plastic bag holders from Ikea that my rats LOVE. I secure them to the top or side of the cage with tie wraps and I thread fleece though the holes. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80010222/ Super inexpensive too! They love to weave through the holes.

Last thing is this bird hut that I got in Large that they love. It's easily machine washable. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5771+15058&pcatid=15058

And empty kleenex boxes with plastic removed.

Here are some old pics from when I had just set up my cage. Notice I use the shower curtain rings to hold up a hammock but you can make big loops out of them and hang them everywhere. Super cheap too.

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

Oh and for the wheel, its a hit or miss. 4 of mine use it but the other 6 don't. Try borrowing one from a friend if you can to try it out before buying one as they are expensive.

Yeah, that's true. They can climb on those ropes and chew on them, good idea!

I've seen people using plastic baby rings, those are adorable and serve the same purpose as the probably more inexpensive shower hooks. That's a good idea also.

Those bag holders!! I've seen a few of you using those, I love that idea! I think that will be a must for my cage. Thanks so much for the link, I couldn't seem to find it when I went on the Ikea site!

The bird hut looks fun. I'm having my grandmother make some hammocks for my new cage. My work sells those bird huts though and I could probably get them pretty cheap. Discounts rock. ;D I've used a cleanex box, they loved it. I just used two boxes from glass cups my mom bought and those were a hit but I threw them away cause I suspected mites. I'll have to find some other neat boxes for them.

And that rock! I was thinking of putting down an upside down tile or something to grind down their nails. I got ringworm from them, I'm pretty sure. They're nails are so sharp! D;

And that rock! I was thinking of putting down an upside down tile or something to grind down their nails. I got ringworm from them, I'm pretty sure. They're nails are so sharp! D;

The lava ledges are good for keeping nails trimmed as well. But I had this rock from my aquarium that I wasn't using and I thought it would be great!

I have to soak it in vinegar/water/soap every once in a while because they pee on it but it gets the smell out.

I put it next to their water & food bowl since that's where they go very frequently. :)

And that particular bird hut is nice because it has a plastic tray sewn into the bottom which helps it keep its shape. It doesn't cave in like a hammock. But you can easily add in some sheets of plastic when making a hammock.

Last edited:
Yeah I was planning on putting whatever I could find near their water and food to help. I'll have to learn to trim their nails too cause this ringworm is no bueno. :p

But yes! I can't wait to decorate! One thing I was thinking about putting is a piece of drift wood. It looks nice and they can chew/climb on it.

I wouldn't advise you to use wood in the cage. Unfortunately the rats will pee all over it and it will stink in no time. There is no easy way of cleaning it. I would stick to plastic, fabric (washable) or cardboard that you can dispose of.

Maybe you can try if you can get some for free (beware getting some from outside :S) but I wouldn't spend the money on it.

Just my 2 cents :)

That's true! I didn't think about it much. I saw someone's cage with a large piece of driftwood in it and it looks awesome. Maybe I'll use it for their play area instead. :3

They're nice looking and I think the rats would love it.

Back