Young rat biting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper_rat

One of my rats, peanut was handled badly as a young baby and will tolerate me picking her up sometimes but generally is very standoffish. I have tried working with her but lately she’s been even worse. She has bitten me a couple times out of fear. Is there anyway to help this? To work with her to help her trust me? Any advice is helpful! Thank you!

Have you tried the trust training method: Trust Training Rats = Patience, Time... and Treats! | Small Pet Select
Or the metal spoon method?
I’ve been using the trust training method since I’ve had them and seen improvements but just recently a sudden change. I’m just learning about the metal spoon method so I may try that. Their cage has just been moved so I think that may also make her more frightful. I think I’ll start over with trust training and see if that helps. Thank you!

You use the trust training idea to get her to become more confident with her surroundings and you. It's useful to know specifically what your rat is afraid of (e.g. your skin, being pet/touched, being held, noise, etc.) afterwards you can get her used to those things, for example if she's afraid of being out of a hidey place then you can lure her out (with a metal spoon if she really bites) and give her treats when she acts curiose or confident, also give treats when passing the cage. Everything you do should help associate you with safety, fun, and treats.

Back