Young Mama cat (foster) sick - back at spca for meds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaRatMama

I was wondering if anyone here is a cat expert/ or at least knows what to do in this situation. My mother, RatNanny, has agreed to foster for the SPCA in her city because they are over-run with cats right now. She just got a young mother cat today & she appears to be sick! Here's what she wrote me:
":( My foster mamma is soo sick! Upper respiratory infection is my guess! Going to the vet in the a.m. Got some fluids in to her via syringe but am happy to say I found her in front of the water dish last time I went in. Does anyone have any advice for through the night? Her kittens were born last night. She seems very attentive but she is also sick.....she's a black beauty with blue eyes! Absolutely gorgeous! I so hope we have caught it in time!
Her breathing is very loud...bubbly on the inhale, almost a snore on the exhale. She was crusted all around her nose. Her third eyelid is showing and when she tries to purr she gulps as though mucus is blocking her throat."
:(
Any helpful suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Yeesh, what a crappy situation! Does your mother have pediatric electrolytes on hand? Maybe give Mama Cat some of that, if she has some...I honestly don't know what to do -I'm just thinking out loud. Otherwise, I would say just keep her and her kittens warm and comfortable until she gets to the vet in the morning.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and the well wishes.

Unfortunately, one of her babies passed away last night in my mom's hands. She was all full of yellow mucus, like that found on mama cat's nose, and couldn't fight off the infection. :(

Mama & babies have returned to the spca to be treated. She is getting IV fluids and amoxil to help her get better. Fingers crossed that her remaining 2 babies are stronger & that all 3 make it.

Back