young boys home from neuter - baytril?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moneener

My three young (3 or 3 1/2 months) just came home from their neuters.

Dr. Stewart did not have clamavox drops and gave me baytril.

However..

after leaving I remembered that Dr. Lewis does not use baytril with really young rats.

So should I..

A) give them the baytril
B) give them nothing
c) get clamavox drops (somehow)

Their lungs and hearts all sound perfect and there is no sign of fleas / mites / nits etc.

They were not treated with anti-biotics for the two days prior to surgery (I did not know that I should do it and evidently whoever scheduled my appointment did not either)

Any advice would be appreciated.

You might be able to get Clavamox from one of the other clinics, e.g. SouthPaw.

Dr. Stewart doesn't always prescribe antibiotics after a neuter. He didn't for Bill, who was fine. Baytril is not supposed to be good for young dogs, so I think they prefer not to give it to rats just in case (I don't think anyone knows if it is harmful to young rats).

I have had problems with Clavamox giving some rats GI problems; they have then refused to take it and lost their appetites for a couple of days. It's a great drug for many issues, but I am not convinced that it's necessary before and after a spay or neuter. In humans, only people with certain health problems have to take preventative pre-surgical antibiotics.

I know that Debbie D's book recommends it, but I am not convinced.

My boy willard I treated with Baytril when he was a bit under 2 months old.. he was in desperate need and dying. Willard is fine now and I haven't noticed any problems from giving him baytril.

Godmother said:
You might be able to get Clavamox from one of the other clinics, e.g. SouthPaw.

Dr. Stewart doesn't always prescribe antibiotics after a neuter. He didn't for Bill, who was fine. Baytril is not supposed to be good for young dogs, so I think they prefer not to give it to rats just in case (I don't think anyone knows if it is harmful to young rats).

I have had problems with Clavamox giving some rats GI problems; they have then refused to take it and lost their appetites for a couple of days. It's a great drug for many issues, but I am not convinced that it's necessary before and after a spay or neuter. In humans, only people with certain health problems have to take preventative pre-surgical antibiotics.

I know that Debbie D's book recommends it, but I am not convinced.

When Dr. Stewart said they were out a vet technician called to have a box of clavamox brought from the New Maryland clinic so I could go get it tomorrow.

But since I have the baytril I guess I'm just hoping someone can tell me why vets don't like to use on young rats or if its different with neutering than respiratory drugs.

When Dr. Lewis said this to me it was when I had young and sick boys. These guys lungs and hearts sound perfect right now according to Dr. Stewart.

He said something to my mom (I was at a class for the exam and drop off) about a new virus here but she said this over the phone with bad reception and I don't know if that was part of the reason he wanted them on anti-biotics prior to and after.

He is aware of the situation in Ontario and the possible situation with Twitch in Saint John - that would have been what he was talking about re a virus

As for an antibiotic ... I treat with an antibiotic after surgery to prevent infection ... after all, they sleep in their litter boxes, open their incisions, etc.
At 3 to 3.5 months your boys are now teens and as far as I know, baytril should be fine.
Usually the concern is with possible developmental issues in babies.

SQ said:
He is aware of the situation in Ontario and the possible situation with Twitch in Saint John - that would have been what he was talking about re a virus

As for an antibiotic ... I treat with an antibiotic after surgery to prevent infection ... after all, they sleep in their litter boxes, open their incisions, etc.
At 3 to 3.5 months your boys are now teens and as far as I know, baytril should be fine.
Usually the concern is with possible developmental issues in babies.

Okay, is it a good idea to give it to them tonight and call Shannon tomorrow, just to see if she's fine with all that at that age? I don't think my boys were younger than that when she said this. May also have just been that it wasn't bad enough to warrant baytril given some problems with younger guys.

There cage is freshly cleaned today so they don't have much to bugger (if it might be a good idea to wait and call tomorrow)

It would be good to get the Clavamox tomorrow since they are bringing it in, if you can manage it. It is my understanding that Clavamox is the drug of choice for skin and internal infections, whereas Baytril is best for respiratory issues. If he gave you Batyril, though, he must be satisfied that it would be OK. Baytril I think is a broad-spectrum antibiotic.

Best thing would be to check with the vet in the morning to see what he recommends.

Godmother said:
It would be good to get the Clavamox tomorrow since they are bringing it in, if you can manage it. It is my understanding that Clavamox is the drug of choice for skin and internal infections, whereas Baytril is best for respiratory issues. If he gave you Batyril, though, he must be satisfied that it would be OK. Baytril I think is a broad-spectrum antibiotic.

Best thing would be to check with the vet in the morning to see what he recommends.

I'm pretty sure he was there when the vet tech said she was going to call a box over so I know he's fine with it for sure. But I see Dr Lewis normally so maybe I should check with her first since she didn't use it with guys at that age or older?

Got to talk to Shannon and everything is copestic! I was right that the no-baytril rule for rats that young was conditional: not for respiratory treatments since they are 4 to 6 weeks, but a short duration of using it should be fine :)

Godmother said:
Great! Hope the sweeties make a fast recovery.

They seem back to normal now! Exploring and tussling.

And Darwin and Ruth bonded while they were gone. Now she sleeps with the oldy instead of her sons :) .. and missing mom the boys join, too :)

yea probably! I believe recent studies on baytril long term with puppies had some very bad effects and she made a kind of cautionary extrapolation from that (and that she did indicates to me that there probably is not a study for rats with the same criterion).

Back