Yorkies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratlover5000

I would have posted this on the dog forum I'm part of, but it's sorta rat related too. I was wondering what peoples experiences have been with keeping terriers, and rats. As normally terriers are bred for killing rodents, I was wondering if people thought it would be a bad idea to aquire a little yorkie. We're *possibly* looking for another dog, and the yorkies seem quite nice in every other way. Is it no different than keeping cats and rats? Or would you say it's worse because it's actually been bred into the dogs?

Thanks for your time. :)

I don't think Yorkies would be any worse then any other dog. Yes they are terriers but many of them lack much prey drive....having said this I wouldn't allow them around the rats...
I have three dogs...they are all in the living room with the cages...I trust to put the rats in the playpen with the dogs here in the room but I would never let the rats free range around them....
My dogs are very well trained and are very used to other animals but I still just wouldn't take the chance. There isn't any need and it is not worth it.....I would train the yorkie to leave the cage alone, no barking sniffing etc......and I would always keep them separate by a cage or a playpen.
It isn't any worse then keeping cats and rats together....Some cats are actually harder....since they can jump and climb and have claws

Dahlas said:
I don't think Yorkies would be any worse then any other dog. Yes they are terriers but many of them lack much prey drive....having said this I wouldn't allow them around the rats...
I have three dogs...they are all in the living room with the cages...I trust to put the rats in the playpen with the dogs here in the room but I would never let the rats free range around them....
My dogs are very well trained and are very used to other animals but I still just wouldn't take the chance. There isn't any need and it is not worth it.....I would train the yorkie to leave the cage alone, no barking sniffing etc......and I would always keep them separate by a cage or a playpen.
It isn't any worse then keeping cats and rats together....Some cats are actually harder....since they can jump and climb and have claws

Thank you!

My dog is part terrier and he will attack and kill my rats if given the chance. He is not allowed near my cages and is locked away when it's rattie out time. If I could, I would never have a dog at the same time as having rats.

i wouldn't want any terrier breed while i have rats. the yorkie mix i walk has chased mice, squirrels and tried to take on a racoon just the other day. the only reason she hasn't caught anything yet is because her off and recall commands are superb. she's a cute little thing but if she ever met one of my rats it probably wouldn't end well.

for small dogs i like pugs, never met a pug i didn't like. :D

remember that although yorkies are less than 12 pounds, they think they are huge. terriers are bred to be fearless. the goal is for the dog to go into a dark hole several feet underground, and grab the scary thing at the end that's trying to take chunks out of it. they are feisty and daring.

The thing to keep in mind about Yorkies is that they really REALLY can keep their prey drive, and people don't think about that because they are small.

Yorkies have a lot of genetic health problems and dental issues that need lots of monitoring.

Back