Yoga?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scythe

I have a lot of spare time and I've been thinking of joining some sort of class for my days off as something to do. My first thought was maybe something with fitness? So aside from joining a gym, the first thing that comes to mind is Yoga. So I was googling it to see exactly what it was, etc, and it seems to have a lot of health benefits that would benefit me directly. I have back problems, anxiety/depression/anger problems, and everything I find online seems to say it helps with things like that.

But, I don't know a *single* person who does Yoga or has before. So I was wondering if anyone here has done it before, and what it's like and peoples opinions on it/their experience.

I do yoga! Its a really great wat to relax, I always do yoga before bed :)

If you have an iphone, ipod or ipad there are tons of great yoga apps you can buy! (or download for free). Its cheaper than yoga classes, plus you have more privacy.

Other hobby ideas:

-knitting
-sewing
-scrapbooking (with rat photos, SO FUN!)
-photography (rats!)
-painting (acrylic is my favourite)
-gardening
-soap making (a friend of mine does this and loves it)

If you need more suggestions, comment back, I can think of more :D

I can't walk up our stairs without getting out of breath, so I don't think running is a good idea for me, haha.

I have an android phone, so the apps are probably different, but I could look into that for sure.

i used to do some yoga with the WiiFit, but not enough to offer advice on it LOL!! I have a hard time doing anything between working night shifts and having both 3 year old and a puppy >_< I did enjoy it although I spent most of the time worrying that I was doing it wrong lol

I myself play video games or cross stitch to relax or stay awake......

Yoga is excellent for fitness and for calming the mind. It even has been shown to lower blood pressure.

It is worth going to a class because doing the postures correctly and safely is essential. There are many teachers nowadays, so you can look for one you feel comfortable with.

I love doing Yoga, just won 5 classes from a studio that just opened up in town. I haven't done it in a while but even on a day I am in a lot of pain I feel relaxed after doing it. Most teachers are very good about emphasizing that you only do the positions as far as you can and still be comfortable.

I also do yoga. and I find it refreshes me. I started by taking classes at a studio, but it was expensive. Then I found that the city and the school board offer those adult recreation courses at a very low price. Even for yoga.

I take hatha yoga, which is a beginner type.. lots of stretching.. not as easy as it looks, but very revitalizing. And the best thing about it, is after doing yoga for an hour or so, I'm too tired to be pissed off about anything!

Good luck!

ChrisK said:
I also do yoga. and I find it refreshes me. I started by taking classes at a studio, but it was expensive. Then I found that the city and the school board offer those adult recreation courses at a very low price. Even for yoga.

I take hatha yoga, which is a beginner type.. lots of stretching.. not as easy as it looks, but very revitalizing. And the best thing about it, is after doing yoga for an hour or so, I'm too tired to be pissed off about anything!

Good luck!

I was looking at studio vrs the Parks and Recreaction course, and for some reason all the classes at community centers are ONLY on Sundays. And work will not let me have Sundays off becuase for some stupid reason they can't find anyone else who can be there at 8am(buses don't run, but nevermind the fact that I have to walk for an hour and a half at 630 am to get there cause said buses don't run). So I think until I can somehow magicaly get sundays off, I'm probably stuck with a studio, which is alright for me right now, I found a really nice looking one downtown.

I was looking into Hatha as a start...Most of what I read say it's for beginners, so I figured it'll probably still kick my butt, but at least it'll be easier than jumping into something harder, haha.

I actually just decided to start yoga last week. Decided to go with a whole new healthier lifestyle. Starting a meal plan on monday and just purchased an elliptical machine for my room. And figure yoga would be great for some flexibility and stretching. Have done it a couple times so far and I love it. I just bought a yoga mat and do it in my bedroom with beginner yoga videos on youtube lol...probably not the best thing to do, as I'm sure you would learn better with an instructor present, but for me I figured it was a good place to start. After I do it, I feel amazing...definitely recommend it :)

I tried an app as recommended above, and even on the easiest settings, following the instructions and only pushing myself to what I *can* do... 15 minutes I was exhausted. I don't know how I'd fare in an hour+ long class, LOL. :lol: I bought a mat the other day to make sure I wouldn't forget to do it and just procrastinate. I have a mat, so now I HAVE to try. It sits beside my bedroom door so I remember everytime I look at it.

The first Hatha class I am thinking of attending is this Thursday at 9am. I'm kind of excited. :giggle: But everybody says not to eat big meals beforehand... I don't generally eat breakfast anyways. Would something like a muffin and coffee suffice? I usually feel ill if I eat too soon after waking up.

Back