Yoda - abscess afraid to squeeze!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

So yesterday I found a large lump with a black flat spot on the top of it in the area of that damn male gland only this time its on the left side. Yoda is also a nakie - does this occur more often in nakies or just noticed more? So anyway, I tried the warm water and warm compress and he wanted nothing to do with that. Me being terrified a gland would pop out (No, I did NOT squeeze Tucker's gland out - that came out all on its own - we found it that way) was leary to mess around with it. I did stick it with a small needle (sterile out of package) and got awful smelly green goo, but not much as I was too afraid to squeeze hard and he cried when I squeezed. Goo also started coming out his winky. So we gave him metacam and sent him off to bed. What are the chances, if it didn't pop on its own, that I could squeeze that gland out? This abscess, if its as round inside as it is outside, as to be the size of a marble. I hate these things and I cannot afford a 5 surgery in a month...

sorry I can't help you, but I would be very wary of sticking a needle into any abscess esp one that's that close to his penis and glands. I just would be too worried about causing things to spread.

I also would not be squeezing anything in that area, I'd do warm compresses and flushes once it opened up. Squeezing seems like not only would it be painful but it might force the infection deeper in or over to places it wasn't to begin with

IDK if that's possible but me personally, I wouldn't mess with it.

however I've had very few rats with abscesses and no naked rats, and have never needed to take a rat with an abscess to the vet, either, so my experience is very limited

How long have you been doing the warm compresses for? I'm concerned that is it coming out around his penis. Would you be able to take him to the vet just to have it lanced and then you can keep flushing it out at home?

Guess I need to clarify a bit. I didn't stick the needle in just poked it to make a tiny pin head size dot of a hole to see if there was goo in it. When Wally had his abscess in that area the pus/goo also came out his winky hole. Its not actually coming out his penis, but rather around it. Last time the vet said that was fine - I'm referring to Wally's first abscess in that area not the second one where the gland was exposed. Only appeared yesterday so only soaked/warm compresses for a day. Will see how it looks when I get home from work. If nothing changes I will see if we can get him in on Friday or Saturday.

My nakie Albert had an abscess there a couple of months ago. I noticed it as a bump, and just watched it as it progressed to a black spot, then the bump got smaller as it drained, and then it healed up and went away. I did nothing but monitor it as it seemed to be progressing on its own and it was too tender to mess with.

Dark scab and large abscess lump is gone. He now has raw skin there which appears to be healing. During this process the green goo was leaking out from around the scab. I did leave it alone and he was given metacam for pain since he wasn't his jerkface self. Or as daddy calls him - little ****

Back