yo mama's big fat booty tumor...anyone seen this?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maladie

No joke, lol, I had to say it. My rat's name is Mama and she has a big fat tumor on her booty. Literally, on her booty, like, tail base near her bunghole. I know this pic isnt too good, but you can see the lil lump near her tail, that's it.
IMAG0407.jpg

It seems about the same as any mammary tumor I've seen, but it also is way lower and near the tail than any mammary tumor I've seen. It came up pretty quick...she is about 2 and hasn't ever had a tumor...yet. In fact she was my only cancer free girl. Anyways, if anyone has seen or heard about this type of tumor and maybe knows what it is or something about the prognosis, let me know. Thanks!!

Oh boy, I think I've had one of those. Links to pics below if you want to compare. It popped up in one of my unspayed girls. The vet declared it to be a benign mammary tumor (although no biopsy was done). We had it removed but I was talked out of a spay at the same time (I regret that deeply). Then seven months later, another tumor appeared in the exact same spot. By then her health was iffy and she was deemed too old for another invasive surgery. We kept her comfortable until the tumor got too big for her system to handle.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x38/thanatosine/Medical/alicelump01.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x38/thanatosine/Medical/alicelump02.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x38/thanatosine/Medical/tumor02.jpg

mama's is much smaller than that but it does kinda look like similar placement. in any of my girls that had single tumor removal (not huge tumors or a multi-tumor removal) i've been going ahead and spaying at the same time. even tho they are older and i've heard that if you spay older it doesn't prevent tumors as well as on younger girls, none of my spayed girls have had tumors come back. so, ok, if it's mammary I guess we'll just go ahead with removal and spay...that puts me at taking 2 rats in for that next week, Mama will have it done and BookieChoo, the rat that had the bad infections with the past surgeries, still has one tumor, so she'll have a removal/spay. Guess I better get to buttering up the hubby real good for what this is gonna cost. *sigh* wish us luck! thanks for the input. and @sheldon, I am not sure if it's having problems with her poopin. I should try keeping her out for a long time and seeing if she goes. She's eating normally, but she seems a little sensitive down there, she doesn't much like me fondling her tumor or trying to photo it, but she also is a bit picky. She's super friendly and jumps on and rides my shoulder any chance she gets, and won't get off, but she isn't much for being manhandled.
edit, @rraphsody, how old was she when she passed? My main rat pack is coming up on being 2y/o, including her.

@rraphsody, how old was she when she passed? My main rat pack is coming up on being 2y/o, including her.

Based on info her previous owner gave me, Alice was probably just over 2 years old when she passed, but was about 19 months old when she had the tumor removal surgery.

now that i think about it, i'm a little worried about surgery causing problems with her little butt butt. I guess we'll see what the vet says.

My rat has the exact same thing!!! I posted a thread on here regarding my baby and i had taken her to my vet and he diagnosed her with a inguinal hernia but everyone was saying it looks like an inguinal tumor. I have her booked in again on thursday where by my vet consult with the practise owner on her again as he believes my babies is not a tumor. Heres a pic
5aze8a9e.jpg

Yes Courtney that is similar to what Mama has. I talked to my vet today, unfortunately she is booked for this week and out of the office next week, so it will be Thursday July 10 when we deal with this. I had sort of considered looking for a vet closer to me, mainly because of if my diabetic cat needs urgent care or if perhaps I have a rat need urgent care later on, but most the ones I talked to I can't afford. Like, quoted well over 200 for a lumpectomy, which I can't do since I'm always getting this stuff done on multiple rats.
If anyone knows a vet close to Barrie, ON that will do a good price for an unfortunately very regular customer, please let me know.
Another reason was that she wanted to have an office visit with Mama before going ahead with the surgery, which worried me that perhaps she may not be able to treat it. Mama is an absolute angel and has really come thru a lot, and I love her to no end. She really must be helped. :(

Back