Yet another lump ¬_¬ things are getting bad... ((RIP Axel))

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yay! My mum has finally seen sense and realises the best thing for him is surgery ^_^
it's not going to cost as much as she thought either, so he's going in on Tuesday, and I should have him back the same day.
On closer inspection, the red bit on the top of it was in fact a bite off his lovely brother Joey... ¬_¬
So yeah...things are looking up..only we found ANOTHER lump just under his left armpit (that I thought was a nipple at first XD) and it is possible the vet will remove that too along with the big one... :)

Glad to hear that progress is being made. Tell your mother she is a wonderful lady for me. Not all mother are as understanding. She must have a soft spot. :hugs:

Ann

I can't believe my mother....

Axel might as well be gone already, he's now being put through an x-ray to see if the lump has spread at all to his lungs or other organs...if it has, I get a phone call and I have to let him go....I'm sobbing as I type this, I really wanted him to have a chance-I wasn't ready to say goodbye yet...

Final Update....he's gone.

I've just got off the phone with the vet who said he was under anesthetic but not doing well...they just got the x-ray back and he had something in his lungs...so I had to let him go...

I feel so terrible...I just wish I could have done something about him sooner..then maybe he would've stood a chance...

Please don't think that!! Once its spread to the lungs there is very little you can do. And you cannot prevent that from happening.

He knows you tried your hardest to make him better and bring him back home, but his body failed you both, its no one's fault.

Your mom rocks for trying so hard for sweet Axel. ((hugs))

Argent, Please please dont beat yourself up over this, please.
Little Axel is looking over the edge of the bridge watching you, full of love for his mommy who did all that she could do for him.

((Hugs)) Im so sorry for your loss

I'm so sorry. The poor little guy must have been sick for a while before anything was obvious. Please don't make yourself feel even worse; you did what you could, and he had a life full of love.

thanks for all your support everyone...it really means a lot... *hugs*
Axel was such a happy cuddly little thing it's a real shame he had to go so soon (21 months)

I'm quite worried about his brother Joey now too...he's the same age, not as big or cuddly (in fact, he avoids being held or petted whenever possible). He had a stroke or ear infection last year, and steroids and Baytril brought him up to where he is now. He's totally off meds, and has never had a lump or anything like that...I'm just wondering if he'll notice Axel's gone...and if so, how can I sort of ease that?
Buying more rats is out of the question at the moment-my parents aren't letting me have any more animals though when I move out within the next few years that'll be a different story...
I guess just...spending more time with him is all I can do? The cage seems so empty without my squishy fluffball Axel..

I'm so sorry about Axel.

If you really can not get any more rats, then Joey needs as much time with you as possible... 4 hours a day I think is the recommended amount for a lone rat.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Try to remember that Axel measured time by it's happiness, not it's length.
This is a really hard thing for Joey too if your parents are saying no to any more. Not that it's always easy to intro 2 to each other and you need an extra cage and all... but it's worth it for the kid if you can get them comfy with a new friend.
Do your parents understand that rats aren't like cats or dogs in being ok kept solitary? Could you educate them about that as they may be caring about Joey but just not understand that?

Of course then you do run into the problem of one will always outlive the other with 2, and it's a never-ending thing. If you can get your parents to agree why don't you seek out some rescue groups and foster a friend for Joey on the contingency they can live together? If they can't be matched together you can send them back and not end up with 2 cages of single kids, if they get on good then you could adopt if you want. And you can always say you can foster until Joey passes and then they'll need to find new homes (then you need to be willing to wait just until they can re-home them).

Could you talk to your parents and consider this for Joey? and maybe do a good deed for another kid or 2 in the meantime.

I would actually love to do something like that...I don't know if the RSPCA runs any sort of fostering system like that for rats but I was thinking of getting an older spayed female that he might get along with (being the little bully he was to Axel..)
I'll definately run it by my mum, since Joey leaving me will be bad enough, the neverending cycle thing is a bit daunting to me and fostering sounds like a great idea.
At the moment I've got Joey running about my room..he's pretty quiet but at least he's still eating. I'm a little scared his teeth might be overgrowing though but as long as he's still eating I doubt it's a problem...

Back