Yet another "food help" question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhtephanie

So when I bought my boys I bought the same type of food for them that they were being fed there.
The food is "Martin Little Friends Mouse & Rat Ration"...just wondering if this is okay to keep them on or if I should switch to something else?
They are just about 4 months old now, and I want to get them on a food that I can stick with, assuming they like it (but I have yet to see them dislike anything) lol

Not looking to spend a fortune on food, but I do want something that will be good for them.

Any help is appreciated! :mrgreen:

I would strongly suggest you change their block to either Harlan Tech 2014 (order from http://www.chinchilla.ca/ )
or Oxbow Regal Rat - the new formula only

The third block recommended for rats is the Hagen/Living World Hamster extrusian block

Blocks are good for 3 months after the bag is opened, so if you by a large amount, you can repackage it into ziploc freezer bags (double bag it), to make it last longer as it is good for 9 months or more if frozen.

I use Harlan Teklad lab blocks 2018 for the young rats - older rats same thing only 2014 - you definitley need to change to Oxbow or Harlan Teklad lab blocks. You can order them cheap online at chinchilla.ca

Well the site owner lives in Ontario so maybe you can purchase it directly from her, but I am not sure ...

I have never ever seen Harlan Teklad lab blocks in pet stores or anything like that.

They are really awesome there - if you email the owners, they will even call you back to talk about what you want to order etc. I'm sure they could figure something out for ya. Did you check out the website ??

Yes I just looked at it and attempted to place an order so that I could see the shipping cost, so just waiting for that invoice.

Do you have any idea if they sell them in stores in the states at all? I am heading there tonight for a couple days, would be amazing if I could just go to a store and buy them...I hate waiting for things to ship lol

I don't think that Harlan is available in any stores. Harlan sells primarily to university labs.

Global Foods sells small bags of Oxbow Regal Rat. A three-pound bag would do the boys for about 1 1/2 months.

Flower Town Chinchillas ships items very quickly, and would probably arrive very fast within Ontario. I think they sell small bags of Harlan-Teklad blocks.

You can go pick it up at Flower Town Chinchilla or get them to send it to you.
They are the only Canadian distributors for Harlan Tech.

As previoudly mentioned, blocks are available at all times and are 80% of the diet.
The other 20% is daily vegs and healthy treats such as occassional fruit, cereal, etc

Back