Yesterday's News

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the scented one generally. I tried the petco brand the unscented and it smelled like chemicals. So I chose to stick to the scented yesterday news but that is all I have around here. My rats are fine with it.

I use Exquisicat brand paper litter. It's cheaper than Yesterday's News and I've never found any weird stuff in it like I have with YN.

It doesn't seem to bother my rats respiratory-wise at all.

I received the same email from purina. I think I posted it on here, but I don't think it was noticed.

I have since decided to stop using YN. There are many other 100% paper products that can be used... and many of them aren't hiding anything. I haven't noticed any issues with my girls when using YN, but as a consumer I feel very mislead when I found out this information. The bag suggests that the whole product is recycled newspaper, it is not. I feel as though this information should be present on the bag instead of having to email/call to find out. So, I just made the personal decision to stop using it.

I think with YN its a matter of your opinion...
Although, I would not be using YN with any rats the have respiratory issues. Why add something that could possibly irritate the respiratory tract?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We had just bought a whole bag of YN (that hasn't even been opened) right before the girls passed so I'm thinking I'm going to stick with it for this bag at least unless problems occur. Like you Jo I had never had any problems with it.

I agree Crumbilina they should have been more honest about their product without having to go searching for answers.

I hear good things about Exisicat Nekonpan. I may just have to try that out some time.

Thanks again.

I came up with this thread while doing a Google search yesterday and wanted to add a thought to it.

Coca started getting a small amount of porphryn staining on her nose this week which took us completely by surprise and I started going through everything that could possibly have changed. There were 2 things:

1. We started using YN in the litter box.
2. I started adding vinegar to the RINSE cycle, rather than the WASH cycle when doing bedding.

I've eliminated both (the vinegar goes back in during the wash, nothing goes in the rinse cycle), we're using recycled paper litter only, and the porphryn has gone too.

I'm not brave enough to try either of them again - if it possibly irritates my girls it's simply GONE. But I thought I should share that MAYBE there is something in this litter that might not work for some ratties.

Any paper based only, unscented, pelleted, inexpensive products anyone knows of that are sold in Canada at stores that do not sell any animals?

(Yesterdays News was a great product made of only recycled newspaper when it was Canadian owned and made in Moncton, NB.
Quality went downhill, imo, after the company was sold quite a few years ago. :( )

SQ said:
Any paper based only, unscented, pelleted, inexpensive products anyone knows of that are sold in Canada at stores that do not sell any animals?

We were using "Good Mews" (just recycled paper) which we picked up at a Tisol store in the Burnaby area. We chose to use this because we'd heard that the manufacturer had been very generous and supportive of animal rescues.

I haven't managed to find it again in any of the stores closer to home :(

MuffinsMum said:
SQ said:

We were using "Good Mews" (just recycled paper) which we picked up at a Tisol store in the Burnaby area. We chose to use this because we'd heard that the manufacturer had been very generous and supportive of animal rescues.

I haven't managed to find it again in any of the stores closer to home :(
Tisol is a BC only store unfortunatley, as they are a great tore I wish they were all throughout Canada

I buy Fresh News from Montreal Critters. I use the cat litter as it's the most inexpensive of the three and it's softer than YN. The 25 lb bag contains more volume than the large bag of YN - I know because I keep all my litter into a pet food storage container and I can fit almost 3 large bags of YN but only slightly more than 2 bags of Fresh News.

Back