Yes or no to surgery?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lise Patterson

My lovely rat Pettigrew ("Petty-goo") has gone noticeably downhill of late. For a while I thought it might be just his aging (he's now 25.5 months old) but after a mini-crisis resembling heart failure I rushed him to the vet today. Ultrasound revealed a significant mass in his abdomen, which the vet thinks is liver or splenic cancer. The mass has provoked a lot of fluid collection in his cavities, causing symptoms similar to congestive heart failure. Fortunately, Pettigrew has responded quickly to.treatment with a diuretic, staving off the immediate crisis. But what next?
I asked about possible surgery and the vet did not sound encouraging. Surgical removal might be survivable in theory, given that rats can regenerate much of their liver. There is a specialty surgery some 200k away that might take on such surgery. though perhaps not for weeks. The tumour would then be larger still and Pettigrew in even worse shape. The risks of such extensive surgery coupled with general anaesthesia are high in the best of conditions - but poor little Pettigrew is a sick little old man. So I declined surgery and opted for the palliative route.
Inevitably, I'm now second-guessing this decision. I don't know how long Pettigrew has without the surgery - perhaps only days, weeks or at best a month - so should I take a risk and spring for the surgery? Or do the large risks and hardships of surgery outweigh possible gains from a few added months of life?
What would you do?

My lovely rat Pettigrew ("Petty-goo") has gone noticeably downhill of late. For a while I thought it might be just his aging (he's now 25.5 months old) but after a mini-crisis resembling heart failure I rushed him to the vet today. Ultrasound revealed a significant mass in his abdomen, which the vet thinks is liver or splenic cancer. The mass has provoked a lot of fluid collection in his cavities, causing symptoms similar to congestive heart failure. Fortunately, Pettigrew has responded quickly to.treatment with a diuretic, staving off the immediate crisis. But what next?
I asked about possible surgery and the vet did not sound encouraging. Surgical removal might be survivable in theory, given that rats can regenerate much of their liver. There is a specialty surgery some 200k away that might take on such surgery. though perhaps not for weeks. The tumour would then be larger still and Pettigrew in even worse shape. The risks of such extensive surgery coupled with general anaesthesia are high in the best of conditions - but poor little Pettigrew is a sick little old man. So I declined surgery and opted for the palliative route.
Inevitably, I'm now second-guessing this decision. I don't know how long Pettigrew has without the surgery - perhaps only days, weeks or at best a month - so should I take a risk and spring for the surgery? Or do the large risks and hardships of surgery outweigh possible gains from a few added months of life?
What would you do?
Personally I wouldn't do the surgery, if it's cancer it could already have spread to other organs and there's nothing you can do to avoid that, I would keep him as comfortable and happy as you can for the time he has left. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, it's never easy.

I agree with Kye, chances are it wouldn't prolong his life much, if at all, and the time he has left would be diminished by having to heal from surgery, and possibly even complications. Time to keep Pettigrew comfy, cuddled, & entertained as much as possible, and spoil him rotten with tasty treats.

Back