Wth... Bad Breathing; Necropsy Results

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Cait, I am so so sorry Andi did not make it.

I am glad Izzie is doing better and then rest of the boys are doing well. Hopefully Tip will be happy very soon.

I don't blame you there is no way I could write a memorial now, you definetly need a little time to mourn.

What about the new cage, the freezer? are they already in there? Could it be the paint or something else?
I'm so sorry about Andi. :cry3:

They are in the freezer. It was dry and scentless before we brought it in, and it's gutted of the insulation and the... freon? That stuff that makes the freezer run cold, you know what I mean? It's basically a shell of a freezer; it has no parts.

The paint they couldn't even reach to injest, the inside and part of the front where they can reach is all the original inside plastic of the freezer, no paint there. :/ The panels were from a cage I used for Denny and Mikey at the dorms.

Strep pneumonia.

The vet called me today and let me know what they found with Preston's necropsy.

The rest of them are going to be put on anti-biotics, symptom free or no. I've been cleaning like crazy as well.

Good news is, it's stopped killing. Izzie is by far better, and none of the others have started showing symptoms. Everyone seems back to normal and acting like little monkeys! I don't forsee it taking any more of my babies... But I've been extra alert and diligent and will remain so.

I also PM'd Phyllis in case she hasn't seen this, just in case. I also met with Tiffany of So Licky Rattery that same day I met with Phyllis, and I've emailed her as well. As far as I am aware, neither of them have had it crop up.

What do I do about Isobel and the new boy? They are over at QT at the neighbor's. Isobel has been there for 2 weeks, and the boy only one.

Do I wait until MY guys have been QT'd?

I'm so sorry. Strept can be very virulent. I'm glad you're putting the others on abs. Are you going to be using one of the extra-strong ones?

It's probably safer to leave your new rats with the neighbour until your current crew have been on the abs for a few days and are clearly out of danger.

It's a compound of zithro and enrofloxacin. It seems to be doing it's job okay.

Is this okay for the rest of them, or should I ask for something stronger?

*deadpans* I just Google'd enrofloxacin. Baytril. I can't believe I didn't know that.

Good deal! I'm ordering tomorrow, so it should be here by Tuesday. Can't overnight on Sundays, apparently.

Pshk when I asked for the shot of Baytril, he knew what I was talking about, and then for the compound he was talking about zithromax and some med I hadn't heard of. Who knew it was the exact same thing. Okay well I didn't. Man.

Cait! I'm so sorry! I just caught up with this thread. :sad3: You've been through so much. You must be just devastated. I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet boys. Everyone knows how much they mean to you. At least the worst seems to be all behind you now. :hugs:

When he said it I thought it started with an A... So I've been like Zithro and something starting with an A. Geeez.

I am very relieved that it's something relatively treatable, and it won't take out the rest of my babies. Tip is the only one that gives me issues with meds. He just doesn't like me, LOL.

Staci and I were talking and she said something about bringing in the two from QT and just treating them along with the rest of them, in case it's one of them that it snuck here on (via me, no matter how careful you are things can and do happen, I guess) and then when they do get here it just happens again. What do you think of that? Wait another week until the rest of mine are more tip top, meanwhile starting the other two, and bring them in, start QT over again from there?

My only real push for that is because Isobel has already been alone for two weeks, and the new boy a week. It doesn't seem to bother the boy much, he's little and is cool with just people, but Isobel needs other rats. I'm not sure how long she was alone before I got her, but it's starting to show. :/

You're really best to leave them in QT. Your babies might have supressed immune systems right now, and bringing in yet another something else could cause havoc.

Better be safe than sorry and all that.

Back