Wtfreak?!?! - trying Intros (added pics)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace8670

Bobo bite me and not like once and in warning he bite me repeatedly ... Hard... Drawing blood. Idk what's wrong with him but his behavior is sooo been getting worse and worse. He is... Or was my most gentlest rat and suddenly he is always aggressive I go scratch behind his ears which he use to love he puffs up and walks sideways at my hand like its an aggressor and just now I was letting him roam around the room and he came and climbed on my lap and I went to scoop him up to put him back in his cage and I stood up before realizing he was biting the crap out of me I almost dropped him but I caught him again for him to continue to keep biting me. I tossed him in his cage and I will admit it wasn't gentle but he bite me 5 times before I got him in his cage. I don't understand nothing has changed in his routine except changing him from the boys cage due to him being too aggressive towards them :( Bobo has never bitten me ever he gave me a warning nip when I first got him this is totally out of character for him I really hope him having a spay tomorrow fixes his problem but I just know something is way off from him and I'm really beginning to wonder if its just hormones :(

I got a kitten two days ago but as far as I know neither are aware of the other the cats not allowed in the rat room at all and his aggression started randomly and just progressed worse I had done intros with him and the boys and after a couple of weeks it was going so well then after about a week of him cuddling he started biting them hard as well drawing blood so I moved him to a new cage and he has steadily been getting worse ever since then and he has been moved in his own cage for two weeks now

Also on a side note I realized the last few days he has been overly grump he doesn't even want to come out for play time the last few days he just wants to hang out in his sleep house once I drag him out he enjoys running around but I never had to drag him out before

I have had boys only be triggered by intros. So the hormonal jerk came out later in them. I have also had ones that were triggered by new animals in the house. So the cat may not be allowed around but your hands and the house can still smell of the cat. Most of my boys that were neutered we awesome after it. i dont have any that were not great after the neuters. SO i guess I should say all of them were :)

as they age they slow down. I have some boys we have to pull out constantly. they prefer to eat and sleep. as long as he looks normal as in not puffy or colder to the touch, I wouldnt worry so much about that. boys are lazy.

I have had so many done. I have yet to see a boy it didnt take care of the problem with. Healing vibes to him. and calming ones to you. I know i hate surgery days.

Thanks and I ment neuter I also failed to mention I got a female who is going in for a spay as well maybe shes a cause of the problems as well they are both going in and thank you hopefloats I'm just at my wits end with him he has turned into a completely diffrent rat I've never had one so suddenly become so aggressive with me

Ace8670 said:
Thanks and I ment neuter I also failed to mention I got a female who is going in for a spay as well maybe shes a cause of the problems as well they are both going in and thank you hopefloats I'm just at my wits end with him he has turned into a completely diffrent rat I've never had one so suddenly become so aggressive with me

A female in the house can turn even the gentlest little guy into an aggressive macho. I'm guessing that your new girl is the problem. Girls can bring the "alpha" out of anyrat! It's just how nature works! Gonad removal should help him.... the poor, testosterone overloaded, little dude. :dance: :laugh4: :cheeky: :thumbup: :bunnydance:

I took them into my vet about a mite treatment she said he wasn't showing any signs of mites and had no markings or sores from them and doesn't scratch enough for it to be mites :( since I gotta have a prescription for mites but she said since it is a toxin and she sees no signs of it on Bobo and that he doesn't appear to be scratching more then cleaning himself not to do it :( so a neuter is going to have to be a problem solver for me since the vet ruled out mites. I talked to her about doing a treatment on all my rats just as a precaution and she said she didn't think it was a good idea unless they showed more signs of having them

I would think a skin scrap on a rat would confirm if they had mites, did your vet ever try that?

Regardless, the fact Bobo bit you repeatly and treated you like another rat invading his space... god that's gotta be sad and frustrating. :( I would think the fact you have a girl rattie unspayed in the house, a new kitty, and he's got challengers in another cage (other boy ratties) his poor little hormones are on the rampage. I can only think he bit you repeatly because you either smell like your other boy rats or the kitten. Rats may not have as good eye sight but their noses are very tuned... meaning you may pet your cute little kitty in another part of the house, but when you come into his territory and you didn't wash your hands or clothes, you reek of another animal he doesn't know and it could be part of the reason he attacked you a bit.

Thats my bigger concern really, the fact he bit you repeatly :( poor you and poor him, he must be under alot of stress. I believe this neuter will sort him out, at least I hope it does, and I hope your girl getting spayed will come out alright. Good luck.

Is that where you spread apart the hair and use a metal object scratching or poking in diffrent areas yeah she did that but if its taking a sample of the skin and doing some sort of test no she didn't do anything like that idk I'm just worried maybe he will be a whole lot happier after a neuter I use hand sanitizer between animals to help cut down on conflicting smells as well. I dropped him off this morning hopefully I can pick him up in a couple of hours they said they try to do the small animals first

Skin scrapes don't always come back positive even if they have mites. There is no harm in treating them with a little revolution which you can get online if your vet is being stubborn. I agree it sounds like a female/cat combo. He will need time to adjust to the cat and for the hormones to get out of his system so don't be disappointed if it takes a few weeks for him to improve.

Okay I have been looking around online and there are so many revolutions and such for diffrent breeds I found one for a guinea pig but not for rats which one do I use? Or which is best?

You can use any of them. They are all the same stuff just varying amounts and concentrations. If you only have the 4 to treat the cat or small dog one should be a good amount.

Back