Wrapping rats after spays.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
Most of my pica rats chewed objects not themselves. I had to wrap julia to stop her from eating her stomach. I took it off and she started chewing again. I put it back on her. How do you know if it is to tight ? Of course she is flipping out but she dont like it on her at all. I also dont know if I should leave it on her through the night I know my morning the effects of the meds will be gone but will she be ok?

I cant trust she is done and I wont wake up to a bloody mess either. I am so tired been up since 430 to get them spayed. I am not sure how much longer i can make myself stay awake to watch her.

I leave my wraps on the loose side, but I use a lot of layers to make it stiff so they can't bend over. I personally feel its too tight if the wrap noticeably pinches their sides in. Basically though, my wraps just give them something else to chew on instead of their stitches.

This is how it looked for two of mine:

corset05.jpg

bodycast01.jpg

we gave them all metacam. Lucy had pica after her spay. She carried things in her mouth like Allanah was. I should of thought Tramadol and metacam can be giving together. I didnt even think about that.

I gave her meds a few hours early she was chewing the top layer of her skin off. I just took the wrap off of her but if she grooming it a bit. I just worry shed will do to much.

Rhapsody that is exactly how i wrapped her except i didnt cover her spay area. I was worried it would annoy it. I just overed under her front lets and her ribs which did the trick she couldnt reach it and left it on all night. I was amazed.

I think you are were I got the wrap from. I tried in the past and failed miserably. It saved her belly big time she was really doing a number on it. So thank you for posting pictures in the past, it helped my girl last night. I am so glad i read your posts LOL

jorats said:
Could she be in a lot of pain causing her to pick at herself?
I've never had a rat with pica after surgery.

I don't think your vet uses an opiate after surgery...lucky you!! I hate Torbugesic because some rats react this way (like Inca!)

IT seems to affect girls more so than males. I had a few girls that have done it but not one male.

I should of taken a video, julia was obsessed with chewing. I would put my finger by her mouth to move it was away from her belly and she would still be doing the action of chewing you could feel it in their jaws. they run around in such an odd fashion that is it is unreal to watch because they they are hallucinating you can tell it is not a typical rat mode.

Allanah carried that pasta for hours. You could tell she wasnt herself. Just like that she set the pasta down and you could see in her mannerisms it was over because she acted like a normal hyper girl.

hopefloats said:
Rhapsody that is exactly how i wrapped her except i didnt cover her spay area. I was worried it would annoy it. I just overed under her front lets and her ribs which did the trick she couldnt reach it and left it on all night. I was amazed.

Oh good, glad it helped! Wraps are a last resort for me, but they really do the job in keeping those silly girls occupied for the first couple of days. I like giving those incisions a good 24-hours of chew free healing if possible.

And if it makes you feel any better, I go through a lot of tape whenever I make wraps - its either too tight, loose, or bumpy. The final results are usually after five horrible attempts.

Sending speedy healing vibes to your crew!

I used that rubbery stuff, if you mess up it comes off. It also doesnt stick to fur she left it all on there. it sticks together enough to where she couldnt even get it to move.

Back