Wounds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

So Flower ripped out her stitches on Wednesday. I knew she would she is my super chewer. Of course the day before Thanksgiving so no vets. I took out the litter and put in shredded paper so that her wound would not get the yesterday's news in it. It is healing and I have been feeling it for heat and smelling it for infection, so far it seems okay. Should I be doing anything else? Peroxide? I tried neosporin she just licked it right off.

Anyway her is a blurry pic of it but it looks like it is heeling fine. At least it is not a gapping hole anymore and is just a surface scab.

DSC02246.jpg

This happens a lot with rats. We've brought ours back to the vet only to have her send us home with instructions of just watching it and try to keep her environment clean. It will close up in no time.
Don't use any ointment on it. You want it to heal from the inside out, not outside in or else you'll have an abscess.

Thanks, I just tried once and she licked it off and Lilly tried to attack her rear to get to the neosporin off so I stopped. I knew that taking her back to the vet would be a waste of time because she would just chew them out again, which i figured would cause it to heal even slower if she kept messing with it.

If she continues to pick at it, this could be an indication of discomfort and perhaps you could give her some metacam or some people here recommend children's motrin.

So long as she's leaving it alone and it's not red, swollen, has any discharge, etc.. She'll be fine.

My girl pulled out all of her staples [ugh] within the 30min it took me to get her from the vet back home after her spay. Once I stopped screaming at the sight of a wee bit of blood on her tummy, she was totally fine. They're wicked fast healers, it's almost scary.

I think sometimes they know better than we do what they need to do to heal themselves. I hope all goes well.

(That sure is a blurry picture, took me a bit to realize it wasn't a long-nosed bare-faced creature wearing lipstick)

Back