Would this be ok to do to my HT?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

Ok so my girls arnt liking their lab blocks (HT 2014) and I was wondering if you think it would be a good idea to ground up the blocks, a bit of baby food and some veggies in my magic bullet everynight as their dinner. Would they get the same nutrition? And then in the morning they would get fresh fruits and veggies and dry, sugar free grain mix given to them so they can munch on it when need. Is this a good idea or no? Thanks for all your opinions!

If your girls are older and can't eat hard blocks then I would say yes. However for young ones I would leave them the way they are. The blocks are great for keeping teeth short and even. My girls love harlan as well so I give the other stuff as treats instead and free feed the Harlan. The never over eat harlan.

I'm curious why you think your girls don't like it?
They don't eat it at all? Young rats like to nibble on their blocks, not eat the whole thing. Also, if there is a grain mix offered with the HT, they will skip the block for the grain mix which is very unhealthy.

Many rats eat less when the weather gets warmer... eating less does not equal not eating at all.

Moon said:
Many rats eat less when the weather gets warmer... eating less does not equal not eating at all.

I agree. My girls get Oxbow as free fed and 8 HT blocks per day between 7 of them every morning. I did not have to give them any this morning because they did not eat any of them from yesterday. It has gotten pretty hot here in the last week and they are eating less then they were a week ago. So weather has a lot to do with it and sometimes they just arent hungry.

Trust that they will not let theirselves starve unless there is something wrong with them.

Back