Worried for Miri - Abby Issues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Okey doke. So we all know Abby, my blind double rex girl who... is just not "right" in the head. She lives with Miri, who came here when she was just a bitty thing. At first it seemed like everything was fine (once Abby realized what Miri was) but now I'm not so sure.

Abby doesn't act like a normal rat. She doesn't groom Miri, she definitely doesn't play with Miri, and basically they don't interact much at all. I'm not sure how fair all of this is to Miri... She gets outtime with my other girls, and seems to love it, always zooming around and playing with them, being a pesky baby. She never wants to go back in the cage.

Isn't the point of having a rat friend the fact that they "speak" rat? I don't think Abby and Miri speak the same language at all. I think it's detrimental to Miri to live like this. But what can I do? I can't leave Abby alone even though I truly believe she has NO CLUE what is going on in the world around her. But I can't expect Miri to live this way. It's not fair to her.

IDK. I've been struggling a lot with what to do with Abby in the first place. She just can't be happy this way, almost completely isolated, even with a friend with her at all times. It's hard to tell if she's happy... I don't have anything to guage it with. She's also starting to lose weight, for which she has a vet's appointment tomorrow. I don't know about that girl.

What would you guys do?

Any chance the two can move in with all the other girls? Sometimes it takes the "right" rat to come along and be that perfect friend. Maybe there's one in the group of your girls that would make Abby very happy.

That is a hard one Cait. I think maybe Abby has been so traumatized she doesn't know how to act like a rat. I would honestly put little Miri in with the other girls because it isn't fair to her to have to live like that. Maybe Abby would be better off living alone, or maybe try a nuetered boy? She lived with Martin for who knows how long and maybe all it will take is a good old fashioned manrat to stir up those rattie emotions. :cheeky:

Jo, I had tried Abby with the other girls before, and for the most part *they* were fine, but Karly threw a HUGE teenage ratgirl fit, and Abby was scared out of her mind. I'm also nervous about putting her in a new cage, she seems to get around this one fine and she freaks out so badly when she's in new places. :( Another reason why I'm not sure on taking Miri away.

I don't know how she would be alone, obviously she was alone for a little bit before Miri came, and I have to say she doesn't act any different from then and now. I really don't know if she even realizes what is happening around her enough for her to even care if Miri isn't there. She doesn't seem bothered at all when Miri is out for outtime with the others for a few hours at a time. I don't know.

As for a neutered boy, I'm not so sure it wouldn't just be the same problem, different rat.

We'll see what the vet finds tomorrow as well and I'll ask her what she thinks about it all.

I'd be inclined to intro Abby to the other rats even if it means moving her to a different cage. She will freak out, but eventually will get used to it. Alternatively, add 2 more rats in with Miri and Abby. Again Abby will freak out, but eventually she will settle down. I wonder if she is deaf too, as many rats cope well with blindness and near blindness. As for her being traumatised, it will take time for her to improve, a long time. I had an ex-battery chicken who was very traumatised and it took her a whole year before she "got over it". I also had a traumatised rat and he took about 6 - 8 months to get over the worse of it, he always seemed a bit sad, but he was certainly no longer traumatised.

To isolate Abby would add to her trauma which isn't fair either, she's been though enough as it is. Miri just needs some friends to live with her and Abby.

Just an idea, and I totally understand if this idea does not appeal to you at all, but maybe it's worth investigating the use of anti-depressants or anti-anxiety drugs on rats? They use valium (for anxiety) on cats and dogs, so why not rats?

ETA: Another suggestion, and possibly the easiest. Let Miri have lots of play time and occasional sleep overs with the other rats (for example, 2 nights with Abby, one night with the others). As Abby is older and will most likely be the first to pass away, Miri will eventually get to live full time with the other rats.

I'd definately try to get Miri and Abby in with the other ladies.

Was Abby alone most of her life? Or was she with the boy? It might be good to try her with a neutered boy too, but I'd consider getting Miri in with the other ladies or have her go with Abby and a manless man.

Based on what you said about Abby being ok alone for a time and needing time to adapt to other places could you put the 2 cages right next to each other so the kids could access either place after they go home? especially if you could have them off the floor and leave the doors open. And give the kids together out times. Hopefully Abby would explore and adapt to the other cage in time and you could put then all in one cage.
Bless Abby, what a special kid, and bless you for caring so much about their comfort.

Back