Worried and Disheartened... :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokiandskwis

Hi everyone,

I have had my new boys for a week now and I had initially made some great progress with gaining their trust. They are 3 months old and have got them to walk onto my hand/lap, take food from my hand, and lick baby food off my finger. I thought things were going really well until the past three days (today is the 3rd) they seem like they have completely lost interest in me, they sleep all the time except for between 8pm-12am at night and Im not sure where to go from here. I often hearing them lying in their hammock bruxing, and I try to interact with them throughout the day but they just dont seem to want to know me.

They hardly take their favourite treats anymore, Im beginning to worry that they are sick, although not showing any particular symptoms. They sneeze every now and again, but there is no red discharge or any other sign for concern. I feel like Im going mad with paranoia!

I worry about them so much and Im not sure if I should take them to the vet or just see how it goes. If they arent sick, Im really not sure how to continue their trust training when they just sleep alllllll day. Please help! I am a first time rat owner and Im not sure if behaviour is healthy and normal or not :sad4:

It's funny that the time you posted is the time my kids are active. If that is the best time for them, then use that time. I always get my rats up in the evening, usually sometime between 9pm and midnight. I am at work all day, so that is their time. Right now I am lying on an exercise mat on the floor next to the cage. There is a ladder so they can go in and out at will. Juno is on my arm, and Tabi just went by and is ripping up some paper and taking it off somewhere. We are in the rat room with the door closed to keep the cats and dogs out. Most of my rats are chicken to roam around the room, but Tabi is fearless and sets a good example. I will also stand next to the cage - tonight everyone crawled onto my arms and shoulders while I stood in front of the cage. They came, said Hi, and went off to play.
When it is time to pack up, everyone gets a treat. Tonight it will be leftover macaroni and cheese - they love it! Try new foods. My guys get bored of the same treats. I will also pick my rats up and snuggle them on my lap. Some will stay, some will try and leave right away.
Just keep interacting with them. Mine get picked up, kissed & snuggled and put back down again.
Just hang out next to the cage in the evening with the door open, and let them come and go as they please. As they become more confident, they will come out more often and for longer periods. Make sure any other critters like cats are confined to a different area of the house while the rats are up. Patience, Grasshopper...

Rats can adapt to your time schedule. A routine seems important to some of them. Do you have a play out time with them? That's really important for them to come out of their cage for 1 to 2 hours a day and interact with you in a play area setting. This should help them "wake up" and get to know when it's time for play time.
Also, 3 to 5 months old is another "fear stage" for some of them. Many lose their nerve and prefer to just hide away but continue to persevere through this time period. Tons of interactions, tons of sitting by the cage with the door open and new treats to offer.

Back