Worried about my rats wellbieng need help and advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdamage

These are the first rats ive ever had in my care... They used to belong to my friend who moved to africa so i took them off his hands, they are about a year old and i know he never used to handle or play with them... When i first got them they were very timid and scared of me but i googled some techniques how to get them to bond with me... It was all going well and one even let me pick her up... But a couple of days later she bit me and seemed more scared than ever, now i am too scared to let them sniff my hand etc as all they both seem to want to do is bite me... It causes me great sadness that my rats might not be as happy as they could be... Has anybody got any suggestions as to what i could do, or at this point are they set in their ways forever and would the best thing just to take care of them as they are, as i dont want to cause them any unnecessary stress

Do you have some thick gloves you can use to handle them for a bit? sometimes if they bite your gloved hand and you dont jerk it back, they get the idea that biting no longer works.

I would suggest starting from square one. set their cage in a play area, or the sofa. somewhere that is rat proof since you definitely dont want them escaping since theyre not handleable.

Leave the door open, let them come out on their own to explore. a dish of yogurt or mushy baby cereal can help. set it near you so they will have to be near you to eat.

Over time, you may be able to start petting them while they eat or are out with you. it will probably take time and a lot of sessions like this. dont expect an overnight miracle.

Eventually, if they will let you handle them a bit, you can do down the shirt socialization.

Others may have some other tips for you. good luck. oh, and try not to be afraid. they can sense this, and become moreafraid themselves.

Thankyou im going to try the yoghurt thing... Ive tried to handle them with gloves but they clearly find it very distressing so i dont like doing it... Ive tried to not be affraid to im normaly very good but when they bit me it was, and im not even joking, one of the worst pains ive ever felt (small scale) haha ill keep doing the gloves, although they dont seem to try and bite me when i have the gloves on... Maybe its bcoz im not affraid then... Im not giving up on these rats! Thanks for the advice!

Don't wear gloves, it will actually scare them more and make the situation worse.

How big a cage do you have them in? Is it possible to bring the cage to the washroom and open the door in there to let them out and interact with them outside the cage? It sounds like they are scared and when you reach into their cage to pick them up, they react.

victoria said:
Don't wear gloves, it will actually scare them more and make the situation worse.

How big a cage do you have them in? Is it possible to bring the cage to the washroom and open the door in there to let them out and interact with them outside the cage? It sounds like they are scared and when you reach into their cage to pick them up, they react.

Yes, that is probably better advice than using gloves, if they can be avoided.

I have found with a few of mine who are afraid to come out, or afraid when I reach in to take them out, that having some sort of transport device is sometimes helpful. For example, a small carrier you can hold near the entrance to their cage (especially if the cage is too big to move to another room where you'd wait for them to come out on their own). If they aren't too scared, they may enter the carrier on their own and be okay about being transported into an area where they can be out to interact with you, and you can leave the carrier out so they can use if for shelter if they feel scared. I do this with my new skittish boy, who is very afraid of being picked up, but bold enough to hop into a plastic bin and be ferried over to the couch for playtime. I've been able to use the bin less and less now, and can pick him up sometimes.

Just a thought.

give them lots of yummy treats by hand, too. The more they associate you with food, the more they'll like you. just pop the cage door open, and offer them A cheerio, or piece of fruit/veggie, a piece of popcorn, a yogie.. or whatever your favorite treats are to give. just hold the treat out, and let them come to you and take it.

Ok no gloves... Ive tried giving them loads of treats (not too much) by hand... And i also let them out of their own will, but even then they just wont come near me... They do seem quite happy in themselves... But i just worry because i know they need interaction

Did she bite you in her cage or out of it? I have a girl that will give a good chomp in the cage but never bites out of it. If she did you could try to spend some time with her out of her cage.

if they're taking treats from you, and allowing you to transport them from their cage, it sound like it's about time for the shirt trick. you take two shirts, or a shirt and a sweater/swearshirt. you put both shirts on, and tuck them into your pants, the put the rats between the two layers of shirt. then just hang out, sit down and watch a movie or something, let them hang out in there, and talk to them, pet the little rat lumps through the shirt, and offer a treat or two. they take comfort in the close, warm, dark snuggly space, and it helps them get used to your smell, and voice. repeat everyday for a few days and soon they should come around :]

Ill try this this weekend and let you know how it goes... Thanks for all the great advice... Also they seem to act the same towards me in or out of the cage, if anything they just turn more vocal when they are outside x

The previous owner didnt even try with them... They seem to really like my mum but still theyre not as comfortable with me as of yet

Just letting everyone know i have made excelent progress... The rats now seem to put up with me handling them now although do seem to try and get away as soon as they can... Im starting to think they will never be as cuddly as pet rats ive experianced in the past... But they both have incredible personalotys and as long as they seem happy im happy... I will continue to handle and play with them... I really want them to run up my arm or sit on my head!

Ramdamage said:
Just letting everyone know i have made excelent progress... The rats now seem to put up with me handling them now although do seem to try and get away as soon as they can... Im starting to think they will never be as cuddly as pet rats ive experianced in the past... But they both have incredible personalotys and as long as they seem happy im happy... I will continue to handle and play with them... I really want them to run up my arm or sit on my head!

oh I"m sorry I didn't see this sooner!

so glad you're making progress! :joy: :joy: :joy:
they may not be as cuddly as you'd like but you really never know. the fact that you've already made progress is a very promising sign that things can continue to improve!

The two boys I have now were terrified of me and everything else- they were rescued from a snake tank, so they had good reason to be scared.
now they both let me pet them, hold them (but not for too long LOL) and the boy who had been bitten by the snake, and who used to bite anything that got near him? well, now he climbs up on my lap sometimes!

so you never know! keep working with them and showing them how much you love them. I bet they come to trust you eventually

Back