Worried about my Old Man

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratluv

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while.
Anyway, my Old Man Goliath is now a little over 2 years old and has, for the most part, seemed very healthy. Lately, however. I've noticed some alarming things. I've felt 2 lumps on him, one looks like it has a scab on top so it could be an abscess, but I'm not sure. Another thing is that, even though his chest sounds clear, he is breathing very quickly. He also seems to be losing some weight, even though he seems to beeating normally.
I'm going to take him to the vet, but I am worried about what they're going to say. Does anyone have any ideas about how to make him comfy in the meantime/what could be wrong? Thanks!

Given his age my first thought would be that the Mycoplasma has caused lung damage but no active infection. Surely that can happen?

Either way, I hope you can find the answer for your old man. :heart:

Update: I heard some lung sounds :( they're very quiet but sound kinda like a "crackling". But then he starts bruxing....
I'm gonna try and get a vet appt tomorrow.

Hey guys. Update:
I was able to talk to my vet over the phone but she had no openings until this week. which is when my semester started up again. Goliath has now stopped eating and has lost a lot of weight. I also noticed last night his bottom half was covered in orange goop which turned out to be diarrhea. I called the vet again and she was being really vague and saying that all we can do is try antibiotics at this point because he's so old.
I had a cat who died of cancer who, in her last week of life, wouldn't eat and couldn't control her bowels. I'm starting to think it's cancer :/
I'm going to do my best to get an appointment at the Vets' on Friday morning. He has spurts of energy but he's mostly been sleeping. This is going to be my first rattie loss if it is his time and I'm devastated but I'm also ready to have him p.t.s if he's in a lot of pain.

Update:
Goliath looked pretty good when I got up yesterday for work. I came home at around 9pm and found him motionless in his cage. I'm devastated but I'm glad he is in a better place and I'm glad I was able to give him a life filled with love up until the very end. Rest in Peace old man. I love you!

:heart: :sad3: RIP Sweet Boy :sad3: :heart: Sorry for your loss, the first ones are hard. We had our first and second on the same day back in October. The heartache does get easier adventually. :cuddle:

Back