Worried about my babies' growth...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackal

My litter of babies is 14 days old today (Dec 15th), and I'm starting to get a little worried as they still look like 11 day olds. Thin fuzz and no one has even tried to open their eyes. Should I be worried or are some litters just "late bloomers"?

I would look at their overall body condition. If they are active and plump and seem well-fed and healthy, I wouldn't get too concerned about it. Time lines are just guide lines, and every rat is individual. If, however, they seem weak, thin and listless, then I would be worried they are sick or not getting enough nutrition.
Perhaps post a picture of them?

Well they're active and plump, they've always had milk bellies every time I check on them, I'll take a picture and upload it tomorrow

Flakes15.jpg

Day15Flakes.jpg

How they lookin?

They lookin' cute. ;3
(Not the answer you were looking for, I know, lol. I can't say much about this topic myself, but they look pretty healthy to me...)

Oh, I can provide you with this:

I'd think it's kind of like with humans. One of my brothers started walking at 6 months(really, he did.), but didn't start talking till like 2.5 years. Another one of my brothers could explain to you in detail the anatomy of a horse by age 3(Dad has a farm), and the youngest one is kind of on average time with everything. I wouldn't worry too much, unless in like a week no one opens their eyes. Then it might be weird..

I'm not sure what they should look like at this stage, but they look healthy to me. Seems like they're active from the pictures too, another good sign.

Ditto, I think they look wonderful. Don't worry about it - they'll open them soon enough, and then you'll be fighting to catch them all as they go off in different directions!

Just in case anyone is still looking in on this thread,
its day 17 and everyone is squinting at least one eye today, they look so cute!
Everyone was moved today into a larger maternity cage in anticipation for the little ones to start wanting to stretch their little leggies.

Jackal said:
Just in case anyone is still looking in on this thread,
its day 17 and everyone is squinting at least one eye today, they look so cute!
Everyone was moved today into a larger maternity cage in anticipation for the little ones to start wanting to stretch their little leggies.

We are watching, you however are seriously slacking in the picture department though!

[glow=blue:29w27quc]Dont you know how much we love to see babies?[/glow:29w27quc]

Ahaha sorry guys! I went back to posting the growth pictures on my "baby journal" post!
Here's some pics of the boys at 9 weeks
Sorry!

Boystogether.jpg

Berkboy.jpg

Jspots.jpg

Back