worried about megacolon

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello mom I have just adopted a female sincere at on may 29 and today is june 23rd but I'm worried that she might have megacolon or some other things because her stomach has gone really large and looks like looks like she's pregnant but its been far too Lon and I do not have a male rat. She is currently on an antibiotic because th he place I got her from didnt care for her and she had a respiratory infection. The antibiotic is Enrofloxacin. She gets it twice a day. I do not know how old she is, she might be six months.

Where did she come from? Could she have been exposed to boys there? If you feel her belly how does it feel? How do her poo's look?

Her stomach is kinda firm...like she had been working out...but not hard.
she has dihareah...well soft poop that still has form. The vet said that would happen because of the antibiotics. I got her from petco because she was surrenderd. So she could have been put with males, but I have had her for over three weeks...and thats how long they are generally pregnant for.

She looks pregnant though, and if she had babies that were taken away from her and she was impregnated on her heat right after birth, then the 21-23 day average becomes 28 days or more.

She doesn't have any high white markings right? She's a black hoodie?

do you have any way to weigh her daily for any gains?

No she is black hooded. And I put her on my moms meat weighed...but I dont know how accurate that is. It said 8 ounces. Last monday we took her to the vet and she weighed 4 ounces.

No she is black hooded. And I put her on my moms meat weighed...but I dont know how accurate that is. It said 8 ounces. Last monday we took her to the vet and she weighed 4 ounces.

The chances of megacolon are very slim, with her markings especially. Her belly would be very very lumpy to the touch, as the intestines fill up with trapped gases. They are very uneven and in a lot of pain. They may have loose poop or even diarrhea before everything stops up. :(

An abdominal mass is another thing but very rare for such a young rat to develop them. They often get big hard bellies, sometimes hard lumps, sometimes a firm band of tissue (the tumour) over the front of the abdomen. She would be losing condition and probably ouchie.

With pregnancy, the average is 21-23 days but they can go further and naturally. She will be eating a LOT, bright, possibly nesting. You can gently feel the flank before the hip bones (very gentle and with the flats of your fingers). No pooping issues with this one although the baytril may be giving her a little problems, but no funny shaped poops and no full-on diarrhea.

I was thinking the same thing that she looks very pregnant but they said she has running stools. The only mc we seen here was in a black hooded. I know its rare but what can cause the running stools?

what is her diet since you have had her?

Mostly grains...dhe had some broccoli the other day. She likes strawberry. But I only give her fruit or veggie three times a week. She is on antibiotics which can cause runny stools.

Now she is starting to twist in frightening exorcism ways. She was walking to eat and she twisted her hips in a odd fashion. She is also doing a odd yoga pose...like her legs stretched outbehind her flat.....

You need to at least help the pain. You need to buy infant liquid ibuprofen (Advil grapeflavoured, dye-free is one rats seem to like)...and we'll help you dose her. She's 8 oz now? Only 1/2 a lb? so 230 grams or so.

her dose would be .17 cc every 4-6 hours. I am dosing her on the high end.

Back