Worried about Babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least 2 babies from the litters I picked up today have neuro problems.
And at least 3 babies in the litter I was not given have neuro problems

If your girl with the neuro problems lives with it her whole life, I imagine she'll have no issue in a cage with levels--I have a neuro issue boy in a two level cage and haven't seen him fall yet ^^ In fact he seems to have more fun than my neurotypical boy. Good luck with your babies! And sorry about the one... <3

I moved them on the weekend into a multi-level cage and decided to watch. The neuro girl (whom I'm fairly certain we'll be keeping so we better start thinking of a name), stayed on the bottom level .... for a day. When I saw her on the second level, my heart lurched, but there are cozygloo's and things under the ramps/shelves and she just sort of veered onto them and down to the bottom level and so far seems to be managing fine. I did notice she can't go up and down consistently yet, so I have rigged up a water bottle to go on the inside of the cage at the bottom level so she can reach it. (heavy water bowl kept getting knocked over).

So far everyone is doing very well. They are mostly on solids now and so far, no signs of MC. Weaning next week and then many will go to their new homes. Out of 20 babies, two had died, one early on and one later b/c of MC, out of the 18 left, 14 are tentatively adopted. (I have a woman from NY that wants 2 of them but for the life of me, I don't have a clue how I'd get them to her. She seemed to think a rat train could be made).

Keep the babies for a few weeks past weaning unless your adopters are aware of the MC risk and know what to do? Once they are weaned and eating solid foods this is usually when it really rears its incredibly awful head :(

Glad they all found new homes, just a right shame for one of the loss :( RIP little one.

Normally babies are not adopted out until at least 6 weeks of age.
As lilspaz68 said, you should hang onto the babies for a couple of extra weeks because of the increased risk of MC with these two litters.

Back