Worried about Babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkinggal

For those who don't know my back story. I adopted two young females (somewhere b/w 6-8 weeks old). They both delivered surprise pregnancies within a couple weeks of bringing them home. We had separated out the litters and both litters seemed to be doing well except for one failure to thrive pup that is still struggling (we're supplementing now as well).

Anyway, today, 4 pups out of the older litter (now 21 days old) have all got porphyrin discharge around the left eye. As a retired Vet Tech I've seen my share of rat illnesses over the years and know that porphyrin discharge can mean something as simple as stress to all the scary respiratory illnesses. I'm not used to raising babies though so I'm a little more worried than usual. And I'm rusty on all my rat health stuff since it's been years since I've had to look at it.

Some notes:
1. I had yesterday's news in the litterbox that Mom uses diligently. However, yesterday the pups were going nuts in it and carrying it out of the litterbox and chewing/eating on it, leaving tons of tiny bits of hard litter all over the fleece where they were sleeping. Is it possible that their eye (and it is just the left eye with the four of them) got irritated from laying on it? I cleaned the fleece again today and this time put in aspen shavings in the litterbox hoping to cut down on hard stuff carried out to the fleece. Although they are now chewing on the lab blocks and leaving bits of food pieces everywhere now too.

2. There are no other signs of respiratory illness, but I know that could still come. I am especially worried about SDAV since four have suddenly got this eye thing, so potentially infectious. Which also has big implications for adopting out these little guys.

3. Could it be mites? Although they don't seem to be scratching excessively.

398348_10150759521261280_668371279_11725207_180484702_n.jpg

555517_10150759522456280_668371279_11725221_325935260_n.jpg

Should I take them to the vet (all pups or just sick ones to get checked out?) I presume with pups this young, if there is something going on, they're going to treat potential secondary bacterial infections and use something like amox or zithrax? They all seem energetic and doing well otherwise.

But that's not all:(

The other litter finally has their eyes opened and starting to move around now. So today we had them out in playtime and discovered that one of them is ataxic, causing her to fall and lose balance. She doesn't seem to have a head tilt but definitely has that drunken style swagger.

My mind is going down all these dark paths on this one, ie. KRV.

See video. It's a bit long. You can see the issues more prominently at the end of the video.

[BBvideo 425,350:1ff299oy]http://youtu.be/AqwiH8dUuBw[/BBvideo:1ff299oy]

I'd really appreciate feedback on both situations:(

Oh boy. I would definitely pack everyone up and get them checked by a vet. The ones with the porphyrin, could they have mites/lice? I remember one of the rescue moms here was covered in lice and so where her babies and the babies had squinty eyes but once they were all treated, they were ok. I don't know if that's what causing it with yours though... something is up.

I agree, both families should go in. Check for ectoparasites right now anyways...scabs (on shoulder - mites)or the actual buggies (lice)

Little one could have an inner ear infection, could have something really wrong with her for other reasons...she seems to need walls right now so let her have them.

I am sorry to hear/see this.

You will want to warn the vet re scheduling so no other rat patients will be exposed.
Hope you get them all in asap

Babies are too young for mite treatment ...
and yes, likely zithro or clavamox as both are both ok for babies
I believe that Jorats posted something awhile ago saying that baytril could be used with rats at much younger ages (if necessary) then previously thought.

Hope it isn't too serious and all are soon feeling better

Thanks everyone. I'll call the vet in the morning. I guess the question is, do I only take both moms and both litters? Or just the one with the balance problems from that litter and all the other ones/mom from the other litter or just the 4 with the eye problem?

Both moms and both litters.
Less stressful too, if all babies go with each mom.
Secure containers with soft bedding, nest boxes and treats help reduce stress too.
Babies are old enough to be starting to eat mushy lab blocks, as well as, baby cereal mixed up with soy infant formula.
Of course that means watching out for early onset megacolon :(

walkinggal said:

The poor little things. :sad3:

I hope all goes well at the vet for them and for you! :hugs:

Despite the unfortunate circumstances surrounding this picture..... I still want to nominate it for RPOM.

That little thing clinging to your thumb is probably the sweetest thing in the world. :love6:

Back from the vet.

This is the scoop:
Ataxic little one: no signs of infection. Difficulty to know for sure if ear infection, but signs not indicative outside of the balance. Not likely viral. Very possibly neurological. The Vet is going to do some more research and let me know. But essentially as long as she's continuing to eat well and grow, she may be fine but just have difficulty with full ratty exploring (she can climb well). She may have to live on a one floor cage as she will be high risk for falling off an edge.

Other litter with porphyrin: Eyes were looking better today so very likely irritation from their bedding/play. No signs of respiratory infection. Mom's lungs also sound good. Again, as usual, will continue to keep an eye on them.

Jennifer, thanks for the nomination:) That's actually my 10 year old son's hands holding the little guy:) He runs home from school every day and the first thing he does is want to play with the rats.

Lisa

walkinggal said:
Back from the vet.

This is the scoop:
Ataxic little one: no signs of infection. Difficulty to know for sure if ear infection, but signs not indicative outside of the balance. Not likely viral. Very possibly neurological. The Vet is going to do some more research and let me know. But essentially as long as she's continuing to eat well and grow, she may be fine but just have difficulty with full ratty exploring (she can climb well). She may have to live on a one floor cage as she will be high risk for falling off an edge.
Is your vet willing to try the baby on a course of antibiotics to rule out an inner ear infection? Ie: can't hurt and may possibly help?

If she gets any worse, ask again ...
See what he has found out before the long weekend, if possible.
How is the baby doing that isn't thriving? Is the baby growing? improving at all?

An update on everyone.

Ataxic baby: Still eating, drink, seems very healthy, just continued balance issues. Doesn't seem to impact ability to eat, nurse, etc. I called Vet office but never heard back.

Failure to thrive little one: Passed away today:( He seemed to be improving the last couple of days as he finally started eating solids. But then it was clear this morning he had megacolon. His abdomen was swollen and distended this morning. He passed away later in the morning:(

So far, everyone else has been eating solids (still nursing too) for the past week and seem to be doing fine.

walkinggal said:
Back from the vet.

This is the scoop:

Other litter with porphyrin: Eyes were looking better today so very likely irritation from their bedding/play. No signs of respiratory infection. Mom's lungs also sound good. Again, as usual, will continue to keep an eye on them.

Jennifer, thanks for the nomination:) That's actually my 10 year old son's hands holding the little guy:) He runs home from school every day and the first thing he does is want to play with the rats.

Lisa

If it hadn't been your son's hands (bless his warm and caring little heart).... it would have been yours or someone in your family's. Whichever the case.... that is one little dude feeling safe and secure... and that is more than enough for me. :love6: :hugs: :thumbup: :rose: :heart:

Back