Worms??!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph

So I was playing with Sweet Pea just now and she left behind this little thing that looked kinda like a booger but I suspect might have been some sort of remanent of poo... Diaherra I guess.... Anyhow right next to it was with small white worm looking thing that I watched curl up on my hand... I grabbed a tissue and wiped it off...
How would she have gotten worms?
Also is this something that can wait until I get my paycheck on Thursday? Cuz I don't have any money right now...
And should I worry about the other rats having it too?

Revolution treats some types of internal as well as external parasites.
That may be all you need
Hopefully you will find another worm so as Joanne mentioned, you will be able to take it to the vet

Last edited:
It's most likely pinholes and ivermectin is the best choice. All our rats have pinworms but it only becomes a problem when there are a lot causing diarrhea, weight loss, etc

I second the likelihood of pinworms. Although I think they are a different strain for humans, they are common in us too! The main symptom is anal itching at night and they are harmless, just annoyingly itchy when trying to sleep. Just make sure you see a doctor too, if you have the itches. I doubt they can spread, but just to be sure, you know?

For rats I would assume they are mostly harmless as well, but definitely treat them just in case. You'll want a vet to check their feces and/or a worm body. Some vets might be able to trust your word for it, and will just prescribe ivermectin off of that. (I at least had a nurse prescribe me medication over the phone for pinworms once, I can't imagine a vet being different). I still think it would be best to get evidence of the type of worm, again, just to be sure!

I second the likelihood of pinworms. Although I think they are a different strain for humans, they are common in us too! The main symptom is anal itching at night and they are harmless, just annoyingly itchy when trying to sleep. Just make sure you see a doctor too, if you have the itches. I doubt they can spread, but just to be sure, you know?

For rats I would assume they are mostly harmless as well, but definitely treat them just in case. You'll want a vet to check their feces and/or a worm body. Some vets might be able to trust your word for it, and will just prescribe ivermectin off of that. (I at least had a nurse prescribe me medication over the phone for pinworms once, I can't imagine a vet being different). I still think it would be best to get evidence of the type of worm, again, just to be sure!

ewww I hate worms! I'm not going be picking up their poops with my bare hands any more!!
I sure hope they are not the same type ppl get. ick! my mom was so paranoid about these, she'd tell us that the eggs would float around in the air and that you could swallow them and get pinworms that way. I was afraid to inhale when my little sisters got em. lol

Back