Working with hardware cloth/mesh... grrr need help...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1405

Howdy,

Got a question for you folks who have worked with hardware mesh that's bought in rolls... How in the world do you flatten it and get it to stay flat? I'm trying to build a cage for my guys as they're really outgrowing theirs and I can't quite afford to buy a new cage yet (I would love to get a double CN) and my mother would hit roof if she were to find out that I bought a $300 cage.

Any tips would be appreciated. :thumbup:

What about rolling it the other way, that might straighten a bit?
I worked with that mesh before and it's a killer. Hope you have good gloves.

jorats said:
What about rolling it the other way, that might straighten a bit?
I worked with that mesh before and it's a killer. Hope you have good gloves.
I had good gloves until my younger brother took off with them, so far I haven't had too many problems cutting it, a good pair of tin snips makes it a lot easier. As for rolling it the other way, I could give it a shot, or maybe I can get some bricks from somewhere and just lay the pieces out on my balcony and use the bricks the weigh them down for a day or two.

Yep somehthing heavy like bricks or big text books...it really is a pain but well worth it
To every anyone else that is netting or building for the first time WEAR GLOVES and Longe sleeves!!!
My hands and arms are all cut and scratched up cause I am stubborn and didn't get gloves...and the work got hot so of course wearing short sleeved shirt!

It's stubborn. Flatten it with bricks, roll it the other way, maybe a combination.

Do you have a frame you're attaching it to? or are you just putting the mesh together?

HeartMyRatties said:
It's stubborn. Flatten it with bricks, roll it the other way, maybe a combination.

Do you have a frame you're attaching it to? or are you just putting the mesh together?
It's a heavy duty mesh, 22 gauge instead of the normal 14 or 16. Seeing as I'm planning on building a large cage (3ft w x 2 ft deep x 5 ft tall) with 3 levels and 2 full floors.

Something like this one in the image below, but instead of using 1 "x 1/2" wire, I'm using 3/8" x 3/8" wire.
FH-36.5-12.jpg

Moon said:
Make sure to save yourself a lot of pain and make GIANT doors! :D
Indeed, like I said, it's something along the lines of the cage in the image, but big doors are a must with my 3. They like to try and hide in the corners that I have a hard time getting at.

Back