Wood Stove Pellets + Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClownCarOnFire

Ok. So. The other day, I went out to a feed supply store, like a woman on a Ferret Forum I'm on suggested and grabbed a 40lb bag of Wood Stove Pellets.

I always heard that wood based litters were bad for Ferrets and stuff, but she's been using them for a long time apparently and swears by them, so the Ferrets are set.

Now then, I am a bit afraid for Leonard though, can he use them too? I am asking fellow Rat owner's here, if you've used Wood Stove Pellets with Ratties.

Thanks. :)

[If not, don't worry. I haven't used them with him yet and I will continue buying paper based pellets for him.]

I was given a bag of wood stove pellets a couple of years ago and wasn't too impressed with them. They are similar to yesterdays news but bigger because they are made of compressed wood dust/particles. I thought they were too big to be used as regular bedding and for litter boxes I found they disolved into mush very quickly. Maybe I just got a poor quality brand but I've never used them again and would have no interest in a 2nd try with so many other choices available on the market. If you have PetSmart near you Try ExquisiCat. It's just like Yesterday's News but costs less cause it's the house brand.

My concern would be the lack of odor control and the fact that it breaks down to mush when wet.
also, you must make sure you get the wood pellets that do not contain an accelerant.

On goosemoose I know some people have used them very happily. They are safe if not the ones with the accelerant like Jo said,.

If memory serves me right Oldsgal has used this and with the large number of rats in her rescue she would be a good person to ask. You might want to pm her.

we buy skids of them for our Pellet Stove that heats our house in winter. I used them for for my bunnies, and on occasion have used them for the rats litter boxes with no complaints. We'll be stocking up soon for winter, and they'll be using it more regularily...

You need a good brand though, or they don't work very well.

Back