Wont take medication

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratmomx5

My rat Atticus has a pretty bad respiratory infection and the vet gave me some medication to give him and his cage mate Gandalf so that it will clear up his slight runny nose as well preventing him from getting whatever Atticus has. The problem is Atticus hates the medication it is an antibiotic mixed with pina colada drink mix and smells really good and Gandalf eats it no problem Atticus on the other hand wants nothing to do with it? How can I get him to take it? I have tried putting it on treats and just him taking it straight neither one has worked. I really want my baby to get better does anyone have advice on how to get him to take his meds? :praying:

Try oatmeal but use non dairy milk with no added calcium because it can render some medication to be ineffective. Use any non-dairy milk. You don't need to add sugar to the oatmeal either - which is a relief not to have to ply them with sugary foods when they're sick in order to get them to take meds.

Oatmeal is naturally creamy and will masque the taste of bitter meds very easily - even baytril. It's also rich in nutrients and the rats will go nuts for it. It's worked for me every time for while now.

Blast the oatmeal with the non dairy milk in the microwave for a few mins, make sure it's quite runny and not too thick. Put the meds on a big spoon, mix in the oatmeal mixture and they will neck it. Good luck, hope it works!

I got this idea from a friend, I have a girl on meds who mostly refuses them on treats, mixed with yummy foods, etc
I put the meds on her paw (and arm) and she has to lick it off
it's not perfect but it's getting the meds into her and she's finally starting to sound better

It was bit easier for me because I'm mixing pills with water at home, didn't get the stuff already mixed from the vet, so I can concentrate the dose so I don't need to use as much

if you have someone to help you, forcing the meds may work, let me see if I can find the video of how it's done
It's hard for one person to do if you have a rat who really fights it, but if you're strong and quick you might be able to do it

here's the video by lilspaz/ Shelagh

https://youtu.be/w-_bFMkutKk

also there's a thread here on different things to mix the meds into, believe me I've tried them ALL but Cool whip worked pretty good a couple of times

with a smart rat you may need to vary the foods you use, cuz they catch on pretty quick

another thing that sometimes works with my girl is to put the meds on a bit of whole grain bread and mush it into a bread ball. she likes those, but will refuse it if she's just recently eaten, so timing matters! be sure not to give any treats beforehand lol

you might also have to withhold food for an hour or two (or more..?) before the meds are due to be given, so that your rat is hopefully hungry enough to accept the med/treat combo

Last edited:
Today I melted some chocolate that is safe for rats in with the medication and they had no problem at all taking it the bad thing is I cant do that every day for the next 5 days.

Back