Won't eat, drink, move, doesn't want to be touched

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trihkal

So I got Kayleigh from a backyard breeder who takes feeders and uses them as parents. This is just to give you her background. Today I went and fed my girls like I always do first thing when I wake up. Normally they run to the door excited to see me but this time little Kayleigh stayed behind. In fact she did not move. I noticed she wasn't eating when she normally would be and not drinking either. It's been a few hours since then. On top of that her hair is all puffed up. My other two girls are fine and don't seem affected by anything. I called the e-vet I can go see him later tonight but what do I do in the meantime? And how bad is this? Please help.

ps I debated whether to put this in the general health or emergency but I honestly feel it is an emergency sorry if I'm wrong

She's in a blanket in her cube which is her favorite place to be. I have offered her ensure it didn't go well. Her breathing is completely fine but it seems slower today than usual. It doesn't however sound like a URI.

She is seven and a half months. I've had her since she was three weeks old (yes I know that they should stay with mom til at least 5 weeks but she was going to dump them if they didn't find homes). Her cage is like a homemade critter nation. There's no where she could have fallen far but she could have fallen from the hammock to the cage floor.

She sounds like she's in distress/pain. I would definitely keep the appt tonight. Try and encourage her to lick up some water or Ensure or a little baby food. Anytime an animal refuses food, I worry. Have you picked her up? How is she to handling? Have you seen her doing 'owie' stretches? What is her colouration? Is she at risk for late-onset megacolon?

At this point, probably best to do what you are doing, warmth and hydrated. I hope the vet can help.
Can you hear if her breathing is ok?

Thanks so much for your guys' help I was in an even bigger panic til I came and posted about it on here. of course I'm still really worried.

I am definitely taking her to her appointment tonight. I also requested a phone call should an earlier appointment become available.

I thought it might be soothing for me to hold her so I went to do so and she bit me for the first time ever.

She really doesn't want any food but I will keep at it. She loved ensure before so I know that it's not that she doesn't like it. I will continue to offer ensure and water. Hopefully she comes around.

There's been no owie stretches, no movement at all really. Her colour appears normal. There is no cuts or anything either.

Jo her breathing has slowed down a lot but its not wheezing or raspy. It does not appear to be a URI. The slow breathing just started this morning

As for the megacolon I'm not sure. How could I tell? I will look it up and let you guys know as soon as I do.

It sounds like something acute, like severe pain from trauma, gastrointestinal distress, or pneumonia. Ditto on the keeping her warm and hydrated. It sounds like she just wants to be left alone, so keep her quiet until it's time to head to the vet's. Good luck! We'll be pulling for her!

I'm on the phone waiting for the receptionist to come back. I want to try to get an earlier appointment because this has gone from bad to worse can rats seizure?

Waiting for a phone call back from the vet office while my little girl is doing so terribly is torture. Her breathing has slowed and stopped a few times. I think this is it. Is there anything I should do?

Just be there for her. If she doesn't want you to hold her, you can talk softly to her so she knows you're there, maybe stroke her a bit. I'm so sorry!

She's gone. I will write a memorial but I'm too shaken up right now to give Kayleigh one she deserves. I want to thank you Jo and Joanne for your help. I also want to thank everyone in chat particularly xio.

Back