won't eat anything except his blocks?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pscychopomp

Won't eat peanut butter, jam, yogurt, fruit, lettuce, instant oatmeal, muffin, he'll sniff it then just turn his head away...last night he ate a little bit of bread but didn't finish it. I have seen him eating the Harlan blocks so I don't think he's lost his appetite (still pudgy too). He has a uri and it's such a fight to give meds by syringe, but he doesn't seem to want anything 'tastey' so I can't hide it in anything :/ I've never had a rat that doesn't flip out for treats like that.

Peanut butter unless extremely diluted is dangerous.

Try a couple of drops of strawberry quik mixed in with the meds, with a bit of baby cereal (with no calcium water in it) to thicken it a bit.
You may need to add a few drops of water.
He may like that, mine do.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4656

jorats said:
It might be best to just burrito him and squirt it into his lips.

That's what I've been doing but it's still so hard, he's able to squish himself down into the towel :roll: .

Peanut butter is the only thing I tried with meds in it (I mix it with my finger and the heat melts it), after that I tried giving him the other things without adding meds to it to see what he would eat and he hasn't eaten any of it. Even before meds he wasn't eating veggies and things I put in there, I wonder if he is just untrusting of anything other than his blocks.

I've had a couple that needed meds disguised in tasty foods, and eventually caught on and steered clear of the tasty stuff permanently, out of suspicion I reckon. Has he always been this way, or just since he was needing meds?

Back