Wobbly Boy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petitepuppet

My little boy Ducky has started to wobble and doesnt seem very steady on his feet. He has always been a healthy boy but all of a sudden today he keeps falling over and is having problems cleaning himself. He is booked in at the vets tomorrow and I just hope it isnt anything serious as he is only 16 month old....

I'm glad you've already booked an appointment. It sounds like it could be an ear infection, a stroke, or a pituitary tumour. Hopefully it's an inner ear infection and he responds well to antibiotics. :hugs: Keep him warm and hydrated until you get to the vet, that's the best you can do for now.

ETA: Have you tried the Cheerio test or noticed any weakness on one side?

What is the cheerios test? Yes it does seem to be more on one side than the other. I hope its just an ear infection as surely he is too young to have had a stroke or have a pituitary tumour?

Looked up the cheerios test and although I dont have any cheerios in the house I have been watching him eat and he is eating off the floor rather than using his hands.

Unfortunately 16 months isn't too young for PT, 18 months is a VERY typical age.

Eating off the floor is a bad sign but he could be just very off balance.. but the cheerio test doesn't require cheerios specifically, just something small that rats would hold to eat.

I'll certainly cross my fingers that it's just an ear infection and not anything else.

Back