wireless connections

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd call my internet service provider 1st (and spend time unhooking & rehooking up connections) Then they'll probably tell you it's the router..
Then you can contact the router's support phone # from your manual or find the # online (and spend time unhooking & rehooking up connections) - it's still under warranty isn't it? so it should be free. Than they'll probably tell you it's the service provider.

Never know tho - someone might figure it out for you :D

Have you tried rebooting the router (i.e. unplugging it, waiting a few seconds and then plugging it back in)? Can you connect to the router's admin panel - if necessary, using a wired connection?

I have a d-link router as well and, on the very rare occasions that I've had issues with it, I just reset it using the button on the back. If you do end up resetting the router, make sure you're aware of all the configuration information you'll need to set it back up again.

LA said:
No SP2 is fine, now if it was SP3 then yes it could be the issue.

I believe Jo is running Vista - in which case, there is no SP3. :D

Yes, I did the unplugging first thing. I never did the reset though.
What are all the configuration info I'd need?

LA, I'm with glorious piece of crap Sympatico.

The configuration information depends on how you have the router set up. I assume you're with Bell, right? You would need your Bell username and password for starters. Do you filter by MAC address (i.e. only allow certain computers to connect regardless of whether they have the network password)?

Changing your network configuration under Vista is easy. Click the Network icon (next to the clock) and then click "Network and Sharing Center". Under the "Tasks" list, click "Manage Wireless Networks". From here, you can add and delete network connections or change the properties for your connection (including changing the network password).

jorats said:
LA, I'm with glorious piece of crap Sympatico.

You should be able to get a modem/wireless router through Sympatico. They're pretty easy to set up (I've done it a couple times for friends) and you can eliminate one piece of hardware as your modem and router would be one unit.

Hugs - I've been there. while trying to hook up my 1st laptop - and do it learning vista - with no mouse on the computer :gaah:
Turns out the router was faulty - but the internet connection to my place was sporadically cutting me off with a signal surge too...
Acomputerbreakdown.gif

I'd call your service provider (do they provide free 24/7 help like mine does? They don't want to lose your monthly first-born fee if you quit your computer, so they want to help). Nothing lost but an evening's tv if they can't help. Then the router people (is your warranty still good? They don't want to replace the unit and get bad-mouthed). Nothing lost but a night's sleep if they can't help...

Are you able to connect to the router's admin panel through your web browser? Since the wireless settings aren't working, you may need to connect your laptop directly to the router. The default IP address for a d-link router, I believe, is 192.168.0.1.

You can reset the router and then see if it will let you connect to the Internet. This should erase all of the settings - including the security settings (this means that anyone within range of your network will be able to connect as well, so don't leave your network wide open like this for long). If you can connect to the Internet, I would then proceed with the set up of the router. If you still can't connect and you're certain the issue isn't with anything else, you may very well have a faulty router.

I'm not calling sympatico... they suck so bad. The first thing they tell you is that they do not support routers. They'll tell me to connect via cable... don't be more than a few feet away from the jack, make sure there are no interference near the modem such as phones, printers, computers... They are never of any help.
I'm pretty sure it's not a router thing at this point, I think it's a windows thing.

geez, did you just download updates? That's what fried my laptop...
(Sorry to keep interjecting with no technical help to offer, I just want to help and you never know what might help or not..., plus familiarity attracts comisseration :hugs: )

jorats said:
I'm not calling sympatico... they suck so bad. The first thing they tell you is that they do not support routers. They'll tell me to connect via cable... don't be more than a few feet away from the jack, make sure there are no interference near the modem such as phones, printers, computers... They are never of any help.
I'm pretty sure it's not a router thing at this point, I think it's a windows thing.

It's true that Bell's support really sucks. I've been through that process myself a few times and their "support" only ended up making bad issues worse.

If your connection problem is a Windows issue then I wonder why your son's computer is suddenly having the same problem as yours. I run Windows Vista with service pack 2 and a D-Link router and I have no problems whatsoever.

lilangel said:
ryelle said:
KMG365 said:
Check to make sure that you still have wireless enabled on your laptop. For many laptops, turning wireless on/off is as simple as flicking a switch on the front of the case. :D

:redhot: :redhot:
My enable button is F2, F2 WTH!!!

I try and play WoW, and constantly disconnect because i accidently press F2 instead of Chimera Shot on my hunter, or Swiftmend on my druid. ggrrrr

On my old laptop there used to be a switch on the end of the case next to the icon lcd's. Made life easier :redhot:

:laugh4: keybindings Bleh haha i do the old fashioned way still button clicks :cheeky:

ARGH a clicker!!! We are trying to teach my friend how to play properly with his keyboard, not his mouse. its quite funny :)

KMG365 said:
jorats said:

It's true that Bell's support really sucks. I've been through that process myself a few times and their "support" only ended up making bad issues worse.

If your connection problem is a Windows issue then I wonder why your son's computer is suddenly having the same problem as yours. I run Windows Vista with service pack 2 and a D-Link router and I have no problems whatsoever.

As soon as he restored to a point before the service pack 2 download, he was able to connect again.
So I don't know... I might reformat instead. bleh

Fidget said:
geez, did you just download updates? That's what fried my laptop...
(Sorry to keep interjecting with no technical help to offer, I just want to help and you never know what might help or not..., plus familiarity attracts comisseration :hugs: )

Im not accusing anyone of anything or pointing fingers - I used to have a crack copy of windows on a few of my old computers (going back years) and the updates used to fry my computers aswell. I try and update all new updates on my laptop now though, keeps it running nice i think

I didn't think she would have had anything dodgy going on :)
My last laptop gave me SO many problems it was ridiculous. It would go through phases of just turning off whenever it wanted to and only turning on when it wanted to - but then other times i wouldnt have a problem with it at all. Connecting to the internet on that thing via. cable was impossible too.

My laptop before this one was pretty good but didn't last long, maybe 3 years. Then it just got bogged down. I reformatted via a tech shop and still it just wouldn't go fast anymore. That laptop cost me $2500. That salesman saw me coming... probably knew that I didn't know much and sold me this super duper laptop.
This one that I have now is a newer one, 1.5 years old... first time I really have problems with it.
I was reading online where it says if you are running Vista, you will be reformatting at some point. I guess this is my point. lol
I'm almost done with the reformatting, it's such a long process. :gaah:
I just hope it works.

Back