Wire floors

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hprats

I know that rat cages shouldn't have wire floors, but if the floor is covered with a couple well-secured layers of fleece, would it still be a problem? If so, why?

My feisty Ferret cage has wire floors as well. The bottom section is fine, I can fit the base pan in there. Even when it is covered with fleece/towels only i dont like it.

For two reasons, it is still a uneven place to walk on.
They will always find a way to get under it, which will/can cause injury.

I am only ok with wire floors if i do this

Coroplast scored to fit the bottom of the cage. I score it so that I can fold it to get it in and out of the cage.
255777_10150218227891409_634516408_7576274_2001075_n.jpg

Then I use binder clips to hold the towel on the coroplast. They never get underneath the actual coroplast. Unless there is a hole in the towel but then they can only get to the plastic which wont hurt them like the wire floor.

255012_10150218228581409_634516408_7576285_6401895_n.jpg

1/2 by 1/2 inch spaced wire floors are perfectly fine for rats, just larger than that is likely to catch their feet causing sprains and breaks.

When it is unsafe spacing, I strongly prefer to cover it with something (I've secured plastic canvas to the floors in the past) and then put fleece on top of that, because they can quickly chew the fleece leaving some of the bars uncovered.

I love them totally!

the one on the left is the regular FF, the right one is the same cage I added a level to it :) since I have 11 rats in there to make more room. Even at that height, it still fits out my back door for a hosing off.

252521_10150222888126409_634516408_7625790_7594897_n.jpg

I hate the one door per level, but you can work around it easily. I purchase large flat hammocks to add shelving. I dont have a plastic shelf for the top part on the 3 level one at all. I attach the ramps to the side of the cage instead of under the hole, it is a strain for big boys to get through it.

I have to adjust how i hang things but I love this cage and I dont have my rats in the FN anymore only this one. I did the coroplast on all of my levels, and it makes clean up so easy, fold it up, pull it out and dump the mess in the trash.

^EE, I am so excited. I think I am really going to order it with my birthday money (my birthday is later this week). :dance:
My boyfriend thinks it's way too expensive, but I am so freakin' sick of my martin's style non-coated cage. It's super hard to clean and I've read that galvanized metal absorbs ammonia, so I'm worried it's keeping Neville sick. And it seems like it always smells a little of pee, no matter how much I scrub and clean with vinegar and/or bleach.
And it's actually a really good price, he's so funny. And it's my birthday money (Yes, I am too old to get birthday money, but my grandparents don't think so)!

I love them, You can split off each level to block it off. If you need to add one, it really was not hard to do nor did it cost a lot to do. Check on ferret.com It was the cheapest when I ordered mine.

Lineoleum(sp?) or vinyl tile works well too. Before I got my FN, Alice was in a temp cage that had wire floors. I had some left over tiles from when I re-tiled my bathroom, so I cut them to fit and stuck them in the cage to provide a soft, even, safe surface. It still works well as hospital/temp cage for newbies :D

I ordered it!!!!! :joy: :dance: :joy:

Where do you get coroplast from?

I finally convinced the bf that it is my birthday money to spend on what I want, and I want a new cage for my ratties!

Honestly, he's always felt threatened by how I want to give them everything. It's kind of funny.

I can't wait for it to come, it looks sooo awesome.

awesome! I love my cages, you will have a blast decorating it! I love the new cage feeling LOL

I use election signs. Any sign store and most hardware stores will have it. Good luck.

hopefloats said:
awesome! I love my cages, you will have a blast decorating it! I love the new cage feeling LOL

I use election signs. Any sign store and most hardware stores will have it. Good luck.

Haha! I'd love to see the faces of those politicians when they find out their signs are used in a rat cage! :laugh4:

Back