Wire floor on cage a problem?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1922

As my rats will be moving to and from university with me i will be in need of a second cage... after hours spent on the web i have come across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 584wt_1137

i was thinking i could alter it enough, add plastic shelves and other things

but i still would feel mean leaving my two boys with the uncomfy wire floor :(

would the floor be a real problem?
should i continue looking for another cage?

this would be the cage in main use as it is much larger than what i currently have for them!

You can cover the bottom with tile or cover in fleece. It is a galvanized cage so it will start to smell from the rats peeing on it soon. I would suggest you keep looking for a different cage.

Rats do fine on a wire bottom. In fact, I remember my rats trying to remove the fleece, I used to cover the wire floor to sleep on the exposed wired floor.

I cover wire foors with thick linolum cut to fit. Easy to wipe clean and I asume much easier on little feet.

As Eagle said, that looks like a galvanized cage. It will absorb dirt and urine and stink very soon.
I would suggest that you don't waste your money. Get a different cage.

I have to ditto the find another cage thing. Ive gone with galvanized before and I will never do it again. Find something powder coated! And I would cover the levels as much as possible, but if yours are anything like mine and Jo's they will rip it up and sleep on the wires haha

If you do really love it and have extra funds you could Google a metal shop in your area, give them the dimensions, and see how much it would cost for them to powder coat it. Because it's in good condition you wouldn't have to pay extra for sandblasting. My old cage looked like a hunk of rusted junk before it was blasted and coated. The metal shop said it was the most bizarre thing they've ever done. :p In total I paid $30 to have it done.

haha i don't actually like it!
thing is that it's going cheap and i don't have the spare cash... the alternative at the moment seems to be a Freddy cage going £30-50 which is a big difference!

I personally find wire floors a pain.
They need to be covered, and keeping them covered is a challange most timrs.

Back