Wire Chewers...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon_mayhem

What can I do to keep my rats from eating all the wires in my room??
I've straightened them up the best I could and they have lots of toys to chew on on their cage.
Is there any type of spray or a certain smell that I can spray on or near the wiring?

Do you mean electrical wires? I think that rats find them irresistable. The only solution, for their safety and yours, is to make sure the rats can't get at them. It will be a nuisance for you to unplug everything before they come out, but there is no other option.

I will do have to do that.
One question: What if i covered all the wires in the area that they play in with a plastic tubing from a hardware store? Would that work? The only reason i ask is because they sell something kinda like that at petsmart for rabbits, but it would be cheaper if i covered them myself.

My cat chews our electrical cords. We have tried several things including tobasco sauce and bitter spray. We finally went to an automotive store (NAPA auto parts) and bought this plastic wire covering. It is split along the length of the tubing so you just separate it a bit and push it over your cord. It is very easy to cut with scissors and we bought a 50 foot box so you can cut it to any length you want. It was inexpensive, I think about $20. It comes in at least two diameters, 1/2" and 3/8". The 3/8" fits a bit better, a nice, snug fit. The name on the box is 'black split-poly loom' (737300).
It has worked great! No more chewing. My ratties have not discovered electrical cords, and I hope to keep it that way.

I'm a little late but figured I'd post this anyway - you can also use old garden hose if you have any, just cut up one side of it and fit it around the wires.

I know I saw at Global Pet Foods that they sell plastic tubes that goes around your wires and stuff. It says there's a smell on them that rodents and other animals don't like so they don't touch it. Never tested out yet though. I'm going to when I get my college laptop cuz I'll be doing my homework with mah ratties!

Ya they sell stuff like that at petsmart for ferrets and bunnies, some animals get used to the taste but the idea of putting tubes wires works really well by itself

My babies and there Momma were too small and kept chewing through our internet cords depite all I did to fix it!! They finally grew and can no longer get out...Thank You God as the cable guy was gonna start charging us for new cable. Silly Rattakisses :heart:

Back