wilson family update and new CN pictures-PICS UP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

its been a while and i think i owe people a few pictures. first some quick updates

as many of you know, my foster radon has gone to his new home with jordon and living it up. this was possible due to the generosity of mainely rat rescue, robin's organization and the generosity of their volunteers to make the transport possible. originally i was supposed to do all of it and have a bit of a vacation, but when kevin lost his job (and still doesn't have one) we couldn't afford to do it. i contacted MRR for help and they rose to the occasion. which was greatly appreciated, not only for the trip for radon but because when i was in bangor my car broke down and stranded me there for the weekend. i'm rather thankful that if i had to break down it was after radon had been handed off and not in the middle of a 9 hour road trip.

the day that i took radon down to bangor started badly though. tasche's tumor that kept coming back (the third time we decided enough was enough and opted not to have surgery) was growing fast and the cancer had moved into her lungs making it difficult and painful to breathe. when i went to pick up radon and romar from my vet who was ratsitting so i could preserve quarantine when i got bron the weekend previous, we let tasche cross over.

tasche (the aqouti) cuddled up with chancey
ChanceyTasche03.jpg

the weekend before that rather rough one though i had gotten baby bronsart home! when he turned 7 weeks he went in for his neuter. where there was complications and we almost lost him on the table. he pulled through though and is still with us, happy as ever though not yet completely neutered. one testicle is non-functional and the fat around both is gone. so he LOOKS neutered, but not quite. when he gets bigger we will try again.

ratsmarch-april005.jpg

ratsmarch-april012.jpg

ratsmarch-april015.jpg

ratsmarch-april023.jpg

ratsmarch-april069.jpg

the issues we were having with ink seeming to be off has seemed to have corrected itself though. perhaps she was feeling under the weather for a while. in either case whatever it was, it wasn't the beginnings of PT and she's back to her bouncing and incorrigable self, though she is feeling some of her age as her speed isn't QUITE as fast as it used to be, and her hearing isn't as sharp as once it was. but for being 2 years old this month she is doing very well.

ink and ellesmera
ratsmarch-april016.jpg

ink up front and the white nose in the hut is eyes with altana, that's her favorite spot doing her favorite past time: lounging (watch for that nose in the other pictures).
ratsmarch-april030.jpg

ratsmarch-april049.jpg

the gap left by twix and briefly filled by a far too lax tasche has been filled by a co-rulership of Romar and Elphaba. they both rule the cage equally, so much so that it is impossible to distingush a ruler over a second, they both act as rulers. this is the first time i have ever seen this happen. i have seen rulers and their seconds, i have seen those positions shift back and forth, i have seen a ruler be both ruler and second, but never two rulers before. but somehow, these two make it work. they are friendly with each other, but neiter seems too attached or especially bonded to the other.. anyway, it thought it rather neat. as for their rule... well elphaba is stern, nothing is done without her permission and romar is a bit of a brute and an antagonizer but for the most part they are fair. neither seems to have any particular rules for the cage except that no one is allowed to fight unless they are the ones doing the fighting. squabbles are quickly broken up unless instigated by either romar or elphaba. the days of spider's cage cleanliness are long at an end unfortunately... though they aren't TOO bad when it comes to potty training...

elphaba
ratsmarch-april002.jpg

romar in a camilleathome's hammock
ratsmarch-april064.jpg

eyes has decided that the babies aren't so bad afterall now as well. which may be in part due to the fact that the royalty will not allow fighting and maybe also due to kayi's old soul and the general slightly claming down of the babies from bouncing rascals to only abnoxious teenagers...

ratsmarch-april001.jpg

eyes with one of the twins... sometimes it can be really hard to tell the 2 apart...
ratsmarch-april026-1.jpg

scritter-baby is still our avid liner burrower and toy stasher. she'll gather all the balls and other toys and stash them in the empty food dish. the dish is normally emptied of food within a few minutes of putting it in as ink and maimae empty it into their stashes and wagner and altana empty their stashes into their own stashes. the liner burrowing is getting to be a pain though. last cage cleaning i hadn't even finished putting in all the liners and toys before scritter pulled up an edge to get under. by the time i was setting in the toys she had already chewed a hole for easy access... it makes me cry a little inside thinking of all the repairs i will have to do and have yet to do on previous sets... some of them i'm almost having to remake just to salvage them... and of course scritter being the gang leader of the babies has taught the infamous twins, kayi and Neve, and their sister in crime ellesmera all about burrowing and chewing all things not meant for chewing while heartedly ignoring all the chew toys and blankets designed for their chewing pleasure... *sigh*

Scritter
ratsmarch-april055.jpg

ratsmarch-april059.jpg

Neve
ratsmarch-april032.jpg

ratsmarch-april040.jpg

kayi
ratsmarch-april050.jpg

ratsmarch-april056.jpg

ellesmera
ratsmarch-april039.jpg

ellesmera and kayi
ratsmarch-april045.jpg

altana seems to have drifted into the background. she has a quiet and undemanding personalty. with so many trouble makers in the family i'm so busy trying to keep track of them that she just kinda disappears. i think this suits her fine though. she likes her humans but only on her terms. if she comes to your lap or the door she expects some pats and some words but she does not appreciate being woken from her comfy spot for any reason, even treats. yes she will take them but she will give you the dirtiest look afterwards.

ratsmarch-april028.jpg

hazel's damaged eye continues to shrink. i expect it be nothing soon. as it is now its barely there anymore. but her sweet motherly personality is a great boon for the rat pack. she defends whimpy maimae and soothes the sisters ill feelings when some has called someone else a bad name, got in a fight then got told off by either romar or elphaba or both. they all love each other, but sisters will be sisters... thankfully they have hazel to soothe ruffled feathers.

look its zombie-moose-rat! rats don't always look so great when they just wake up either... :giggle:
ratsmarch-april044.jpg

wagner is as noisy as ever with his scared lungs but a happy and bouncy boy when out of the cage. getting into trouble, raiding ink's out time stashes and chasing the cats. ink and sessho will play tag and wagner has found a simliar playmate in minion, though they are a bit rougher and i'll sometimes hear a squeek from wagner or a squak from minion when someone tags too hard in their excitement. at first this worried me but no sooner would they make a noise would the other back down then start playing nice again. i guess boys will boys...

wagner is NOT a fan of the flash on the camera...
ratsmarch-april062.jpg

bron, chancey, and wagner
ratsmarch-april065.jpg

minion and sesshoumaru
ratsmarch-april008.jpg

chancey had a mild case of URI which his own system knocked most of it down. i'm so very proud of him. we're doing a run of antibiotics now to get rid of the last vestiges. he's being a great babysitter for bron, though there is a good deal of ear pulling when bron steals food striaght from chancey's mouth... but hey, those big ears are good targets! chancey has found the love of his life now though in miyuki. the two of them will sleep together for hours if you let them. chancey will bruxx and boggle cuddled up to her belly fur as miyuki purrs away giving him a good lick bath. its very sweet. sadly i have not been able to catch it on film just yet, but i continue to try. :cuddle:

ratsmarch-april007.jpg

miyuki
ratsmarch-april010.jpg

maimae continues to be a whimp and a spaz but she's getting along better with just about everyone now. romar will still sneak up on her and startle her or pull her ears to get her going from time to time but for the most part she's been quiet and is coming around to be touched more by us. though she'll still have fear poops if startled while outside of the cage... very STINKY, gooshy, gross fear poops... :sick2:

ratsmarch-april019.jpg

ratsmarch-april038.jpg

ratsmarch-april027.jpg

our newest addition is my rat niece, 18 month old peaches, come home. she's not technically mine, i'm only caring for her and giving her some rat buds to be with when her own rat family died leaving her alone. sadly i don't think she will be with us for long. she has a lump on the side of her face right under her ear. the doctor saw nothing wrong with her teeth or ear and no polyps. this leads me to suspect zymbals gland tumor. as she is not my rat i can not make any health decisions for her and the vet is hopeful that it is only a abscess. i mean might as well treat for what you can treat rather then assume the worst right off afterall. i can see her logic and i hope dearly that that is what it turns out to be. she's on antibiotics for a week and she will have surgery to remove it if possible on tuesday. i have been given the advance directive by her parents that if it is found to be a tumor at that time to not let her wake up. i can't say i blame them. from what i have read about the tumor, its not a good way to go. i would be willing to keep her going if that is what they decide when it comes down to it, but i will honor their wishes if they stay true to their current decision. i can't honestly say that i would not do the same if i were in their position. :cry:

but for now, peaches is living it up with the girls in the CN. i was very pleased with my girls when they accepted her automatically and without one voice of protest from any of them when, pressed for time i did a forced introduction in the "dirty" CN. she walked up to the others cuddled together in and around the small hut at the bottom of the stairs, groomed a few heads, had a bit of a grooming from the others and that was it. not one peep or protest or huff from anyone. even elphaba readily accepted the interloper into HER domain. maybe they feel her grief from losing her cagemates, or understand that she is sick, i don't know, but they accepted her as if she was one of them just come back to the cage from a shoulder ride, not at all like the completely new and strange smelling rat that she was to almost all of them. only ink and eyes are left from the group she knew when she was a baby during her foster time here and that was well over a year ago.

peaches in the red tube and i THINK kayi in the blue tube:
ratsmarch-april057.jpg

ratsmarch-april071.jpg

ratsmarch-april072.jpg

now some cage pictures:

the red standard and the plaid pocket hammock made by camilleathome. the heavily repaired cube made by ration1802. cuddle cup made by javakittie
ratsmarch-april024.jpg

ratsmarch-april037.jpg

cameo butterfly pocket hammock made by camilleathome, horse tube hammock made by javakittie, polkadot double corner hammock, green tube hammock and blue stars double decker made by reachthestars.
ratsmarch-april063.jpg

ratsmarch-april070.jpg

i switched out the puzzle hut for a second wheel
ratsmarch-april075.jpg

scarfs can make cozy hut liners
ratsmarch-april073.jpg

from a previous set up, pocket and standard hammocks made by camilleathome
ratsmarch-april043.jpg

Wow twitch.....you have had some hard times. That must have been so scary with little Bron. I am glad he pulled through.
All your rats look wonderful. You have a very beautiful and obviously very spoiled family.

It's good to hear from you, I haven't been in contact with you for a bit! I'm glad that things seem to be going good for the most part, but I'm sorry that you lost Tasche. I hope things continue to be good for you guys! And you have such beautiful pics!

Wow...what a great write up. So many ups and downs but that's how it is in the world of multiple rescues. Such beauties in all of them. Cages look fun!!

Back