Will my rats ever get along?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiileyface

My alpha male, Thor recently lost his brother, Loki. As much as it broke my heart, I realized Thor was becoming more and more depressed. I have two other males, Tiki and Mani, who are a few months younger than Thor. They're really shy & skittish. Thor, being the alpha male obviously shows dominance towards the other two when I try to get them used to each other. I've had Thor since September, and the other two since February. I've been trying to get them used to each other even before Loki passed away. But Tiki and Mani will have none of it. Tiki stays in the corner of the bathroom, and squeals whenever Thor goes next to him. I have no idea what to do. I know I've posted about this before, but I really don't want Thor to be lonely & depressed.

[Rest in Peace, Loki my little man<3]

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Instead of the bathroom floor, use the bathtub. Small space will force them to be closer together. Even though Tiki is afraid, keep doing the intros. Eventually he might come around. Do it an hour long if you can and add some yummy food in the tub too.

I have tried the bathtub. They seem to get along just fine, but eventually Tiki starts squealing and runs away from Thor. I'm so frustrated. I don't want Thor to be lonely. :(

I'm so sorry about your loss of your Loki.
I'd try Thor out on the couch with just me & Tiki, and separately with just me & Mani, with lots of distractions none of them ever encountered but are easy to get at the kids if they fight (paper bags, a box filled with paper, ornaments, herbs sprinkled on the blanket) and I'd hold treats they can come to me for. After a few sessions with the one he gets on with best, then I'd add the 3rd kid. After a couple good sessions of that I'd switch everyone's cages after for the night, and make the next session all in one cage.

Back