Wild Salmon Oil

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I picked up Wild Salmon Oil liquid capsules last night.

Any one use these with the ratties? I know Moon said they are good for constipation, but can you give them some one a week, like olive oil?

I've never used if for rats before, but I have taken fish oil myself. It is very healthy. I don't see why it should be a problem to give to rats once a week! Chock full of good stuff, fish oil is. :)

Just make sure whenever you are giving fish oil it's a high quality one that is distilled and free of toxins like PCBs and mercury.

The one I have is: Wild Salmon Oil 1000 mg Life Brand Natural Source - Maintains cardiovascular Health, A source ofOmega - 3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA.

No daily, sugar, perseratives or startch.

Each capsule contains:

Wild Alaska Salmon Oil 1000mg
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) - 80 mg
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) - 70 mg

Non-Medical ingredients: Softgel,D-alpha natual tocopherol.

Testes in accirdance to quality standards for PCB's, dioxins, mercury, lead,cadmium and arsenic

Dr Munn is big on Omegas and said Salmon oil was the best of the fish based oils for doing that kind of supplementation. When doing some more research on the subject I learned safflower oil gives the best ratio of Omega 3/6/9s for a non fish based option.

Moon said:
Dr Munn is big on Omegas and said Salmon oil was the best of the fish based oils for doing that kind of supplementation. When doing some more research on the subject I learned safflower oil gives the best ratio of Omega 3/6/9s for a non fish based option.

Omega 3s from vegetable sources are not the same as the ones from animal sources. Vegetable sources (I actually think flax and walnut oils are better sources than safflower oil and if your using it for cooking canola's the way to go) are usually short chain (refers to the number of carbons in the molecule) and animal sources are long chain. Humans can synthesize long chain fatty acid from the short chain ones but at a low rate and it's the long chain acids that are associated with most of the benefits - cardiac, mood, cognitive, etc. Fish oil is a great source of these fatty acids but larger fish like salmon and tuna are known be contaminated with bio accumulating toxins that carry their own risks. There are some brands that do indicate that their fish oil is distilled and free of those toxins, but not all do so I am always cautious. The one Ratty Momma bought says it is in accordance with quality standards not that it is free of PCBs, mercury, lead, etc. which is not the same thing. I'm not sure what the standards are but when it's a bio accumulating toxin I try to avoid them all together especially with my rats.

In humans, Omega 3 and 6 are essential but not Omega 9. We need a lot more Omega 3 than 6 though and it is not difficult to get Omega 6 from our diet, in fact we get too much and it ends up throwing things off. I looked into the requirements for rats but from what I found not all of them have been determined.

I give my boys salmon oil (or cod liver oil..I tend to vary it a bit) about once a week to every 2 weeks. I love it :)
The capsules last a long time so I end up taking some sometimes as well..

Back