WILD rat in my apartment help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hey rat community!
I wasn't sure where to post this in the forum.
Just now I saw something huge run across my room... And knew immediately it was a wild city rat. I checked MY rats cage just in case to see if any of my babies got loose... But they did not. I clearly DONT want to kill it, but I know if I call someone to catch it they will kill it.

What do I do? I also worry about disease etc and if they would be harmful to my own ratties...

Any advice? I'm in Los Angeles. Help!

-M.

Any chance you could move your rat cage to somewhere less accessible to the wild rat? Maybe a spare bedroom that you've made sure s(he) isn't in? Also, I don't know what kind of cage you have, but if you have a DCN or something, maybe see if you can restrict them to the top level. I don't think that would really work with anything but a DCN. There's a user on this forum called lilspaz, and they have a lovely little PEW girl named Pele who had her nose torn up by a wild rat who bit her through the bars of the cage. She's suffering some tooth problems (top incisors have fallen out, lower ones are growing wicked fast because there's no upper incisors to grind against), and is otherwise doing well, thank goodness! But just be on the lookout.

Then you could go out and buy a humane trap (but that could take a little while to work, and rats are pretty wily). Maybe put out food and make a little trail up into the bath tub or something? Give it a way to get into the bath tub, but once it's in there, remove the way it got in and figure out someway to trap it and take it outside, far away. Or maybe you could just get it into the bathroom and do the same thing. The smaller the space, the better the chance of catching it. At the end of the day, if nothing you're doing is working, you may have to call someone. Try your best to find someone who will humanely catch the rat, but I would think about the health and safety of your ratties above this wildie that's found its way into your home if worst comes to worst.

@glitchiq Thanj you Soooo much for this info. I guess the first think I'll do is perhaps get a trap and see if I can catch it. I know they are tough to catch. I worry about calling someone to humanely catch it as I have heard horror stories.

I THINK the rat got in through my heater vents as these vents are old school from the 1929s and there is a large gap there. Do you guys recommend me closing all the vents? Or should I leave them open so the rat could possibly go back down the vent at night and leave my place?

Also, @lilspaz - can you tell me what you did to rid of the wild rat that attacked your baby's nose? Or do you have any suggestions?

Any help would be so helpful! Thanks so much!

@glitchiq Thanj you Soooo much for this info. I guess the first think I'll do is perhaps get a trap and see if I can catch it. I know they are tough to catch. I worry about calling someone to humanely catch it as I have heard horror stories.

I THINK the rat got in through my heater vents as these vents are old school from the 1929s and there is a large gap there. Do you guys recommend me closing all the vents? Or should I leave them open so the rat could possibly go back down the vent at night and leave my place?

Also, @lilspaz - can you tell me what you did to rid of the wild rat that attacked your baby's nose? Or do you have any suggestions?

Any help would be so helpful! Thanks so much!

I wouldn't close the vents; maybe this wildie will get scared about being in a new place and decide to vacate the premises on his/her own. Once you're sure the rattie is gone, I would close the vents to make sure that no one else wriggles their way in. I don't know if you have boys or girls, but if one of the girls is in heat and that wildie is a male, he might have come around looking for a little action.

Ask Lilspaz68 She had at least one wild rat in her apartment.

If you have unsprayed girls, that could attract boys as they go into heat every 3 to 4 days.

Leave out food and water a long way from the room where your rats are as if it s desperate it will be attracted to them and their cage

Get a humane trap, release it outside and block the enterances it is using to get into your apartment ... but make sure it is not a nursing mama with babies in your apartment

@glitchiq Heya! Thanks for the check in! Unfortunately, no luck yet! This has been insane. I think this one is a jumper because the places where I think he is hiding....I can't figure out how he gets to because they are soooooo high from the floor!

So, I just purchased a security cam with night vision (yes, it's getting fancy) and I'm going to see where the heck this little guy is coming from and what he is up to! As soon as I can figure out where he's at, then I found a friend of a friend who will be coming over with a bunch of larger traps and hopefully I can catch him in the area he's at. I think my traps may be too small.

I hope I can catch and release him soon! I don't like keeping my rats in my bedroom with the door closed all the time. :( But until I catch this cute wild rattie...I have to keep my little babies safe. :(

Wish me luck! I will keep you updated later this week. And maybe I'll even post a short video of the cute guy if I catch him on camera! ;)

He NEEDS to leave my house and go back to his family. He is getting way too comfortable.

By the way, just a funny little note. He left a tiny flower next to my trap the other night. I think he is a womanizer and a flirt. ;)

@glitchiq Heya! Thanks for the check in! Unfortunately, no luck yet! This has been insane. I think this one is a jumper because the places where I think he is hiding....I can't figure out how he gets to because they are soooooo high from the floor!

So, I just purchased a security cam with night vision (yes, it's getting fancy) and I'm going to see where the heck this little guy is coming from and what he is up to! As soon as I can figure out where he's at, then I found a friend of a friend who will be coming over with a bunch of larger traps and hopefully I can catch him in the area he's at. I think my traps may be too small.

I hope I can catch and release him soon! I don't like keeping my rats in my bedroom with the door closed all the time. :( But until I catch this cute wild rattie...I have to keep my little babies safe. :(

Wish me luck! I will keep you updated later this week. And maybe I'll even post a short video of the cute guy if I catch him on camera! ;)

He NEEDS to leave my house and go back to his family. He is getting way too comfortable.

By the way, just a funny little note. He left a tiny flower next to my trap the other night. I think he is a womanizer and a flirt. ;)

Glad to hear you are keeping your babies safe.

A humane live-trap is the only way to go here. Make sure the trap is specifically designed for rats, though. Some of the larger traps, which are usually built for squirrels and similarly-sized critters, can be difficult for even a large rat to set off. And because of the rat's unparalleled intelligence and craftiness, you need a very sensitive trap to successfully catch them.

A little note... a wild rat's agility and athleticism is not tantamount to that of a domestic rat, and they can jump, climb, and outrun anything. My pet Norway rats run straight up my stone wall as though they are ascending a shallow ramp (then turn around while still clinging to the wall to face downwards, and dive-bomb me like flying squirrels), dash up my curtains with speed and proficiency, and they even skillfully climb up cords to get onto tables and counters (I still don't know how they do this with the limited dexterity in their paws). The heights they can jump is phenomenal! You definitely cannot contain them in a bathtub (my wild boys jump out of there, piece of cake). Athletically speaking, wild rats are much more like squirrels than domestic rats. So keep this in mind if you have any special items that you would prefer to keep out of this guy's reach.

And as I briefly mentioned earlier, their intelligence is absolutely out of this world. Back when I had to live-trap visitors, these guys demonstrated the ability to either remove the bait in the trap without setting it off, or purposely set off the trap so that they could move it afterwards and steal the bait. I had to actually make modifications to the trap so that it was capable of catching them (...two weeks later). This may not be necessary for you depending on the trap you use, but be prepared to think creatively and perhaps alter your trap and baiting methods. What is most important right now is ensuring that your trap is sensitive enough to be set off by a rat, and you can always make changes to the trap if you are unsuccessful. A security cam is a great way to find out what changes you may need to make, if any.

And of course, after trapping, you will need to check to see if this might possibly be a nursing mother.

Can you post a picture of the trap you are using?

@AAT Hi! I've been using the Havahart small trap....so it's definitely good for the rats. However, I was told by my pro rat catching friend (he has a lot of wild rats in his house that he has to catch and release) that my traps may be too small. A friend of mine is coming over this week with bigger traps. I will be utilizing both small and larger ones. However, as you said, this rat is smart. After he set off the trap without getting caught a few times, he/she no longer goes near the trap anymore. I'm not sure if the traps will work anymore. :(

In fact, it is no longer hanging out in the kitchen. I think it's moved to my living room. I set up a secret cam with night vision and I couldn't find the rattie. AND there appears to be no rat droppings from last night. I'm not sure where it is.

A few people have mentioned pregnant mother.....do rats tend to move inside a house when they're pregnant?

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I hope this rattie is alright. But it would be nice if it left my place. It's been intense. :(

-M

@AAT Hi! I've been using the Havahart small trap....so it's definitely good for the rats. However, I was told by my pro rat catching friend (he has a lot of wild rats in his house that he has to catch and release) that my traps may be too small. A friend of mine is coming over this week with bigger traps. I will be utilizing both small and larger ones. However, as you said, this rat is smart. After he set off the trap without getting caught a few times, he/she no longer goes near the trap anymore. I'm not sure if the traps will work anymore. :(

In fact, it is no longer hanging out in the kitchen. I think it's moved to my living room. I set up a secret cam with night vision and I couldn't find the rattie. AND there appears to be no rat droppings from last night. I'm not sure where it is.

A few people have mentioned pregnant mother.....do rats tend to move inside a house when they're pregnant?

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I hope this rattie is alright. But it would be nice if it left my place. It's been intense. :(

-M

Nothing wrong with trying a larger trap, just make sure it is sensitive enough to catch a rat. If your friend has had success with the larger traps he has been using, you should be good. To be honest, I would have to agree with your friend regarding the trap size if this guy has become fearful of the traps you are using. Some rats are far less comfortable with entering a small, foreign area as opposed to one that is larger and more spacious. Camouflaging the trap (e.g., surrounding it with pillows) has sometimes helped me in the past. May I ask what you are currently using for bait?

Pregnant rats will search for a comfortable nesting place to give birth. This may be in someone's house, or it may not. When removing any wildlife from a home, regardless of the species, it is imperative to ensure that the animal in question is not nursing young.

@AAT For bait I'm using high quality cat food. Apparently, they go for that faster than peanut butter! ;) He seemed to like it....I count the number of pellets I put out and he always takes just one. I think he's trying to watch his figure. ;)

BUT ... here is the thing! Knock on wood in all directions...........but I THINK he moved out of my house! I haven't seen evidence of him anywhere for the past few days. There is a chance he is hiding somewhere where I can't see....but for the last 2 weeks, I could track where he was....and now, radio silent. No noises, no food taken....no rat droppings. Nothing.

I saw that he pooped near the vent earlier in the week....so I'm thinking he escaped through the vent. This is where I suspect he came from to begin with.

Anyways, fingers crossed he found a home outside and didn't pass in my house. I think about him a lot....wonder what he's up to. ;)

I'll let you know if he shows up again, but I'm hoping he is gone so I can move my ratties back in the other room and I don't have to viciously clean the house constantly.
And I hope he's okay out in the rain! ;)

Thanks again for all of your helpful advice!

-M.

Hey Everyone~!
Just giving you an update. I refrained from posting this until I was sure ... I didn't want to jinx it!

So it looks like Romeo the wild rat has moved out! :D Yay! I kind of lucked out. It's weird, I set up a secret cam, left food out and went on vacation. I purposely wanted to see where he was hanging out and what he was up to.

But when I got home, all I found was a bunch of untouched snacks, an empty trap, no movement on my video and rat droppings only near my heater vent (this is where I think he came from). So it appears that he decided to move out. I'm not sure why as there was a lot of food to eat over the weekend, but alas...Romeo has decided to go back to Juliet. ;) Since then, I haven't heard any noises, all food is intact and there have been no more rat droppings.

I am relieved and all is back to normal in this crazy rat household! :D

Thanks again for the support!
-M.

Back