Wild Rat Advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking at your pictures, I think Basil is a girl too. Take the two together and compare them. The spacing between urethra and anus is much larger in boys. They should look identical. If Basil is a girl like we suspect, you may be in for a really big family soon!

Okay, so from dealing with a wild baby rat first had, I have a couple things to say. First off, wild rats DO mature a LOT slower than domesticated babies. Rhydian didnt show her sex until around two months old. Second, with wildies, DO NOT count your eggs before they hatch! I thought Rhydian was a boy for the longest time, as did my vet, and I waited seemingly forever for her to drop her testes, until one day she just developed a vaginal opening. a little hole that definitely wasnt there before just appeared like magic! Third, a wild baby should definitely be introduced to a tame friend who is either fixed, or of the same sex. The tame rat helps keep them social, as well as CONSTANT affection from their owner. To reassure our bond and make sure Rhydian associates people with good things, like food, I make sure that I often feed her things like babyfood, that she has to lick from my fingers so her trust in me stays constant. My cat brought Rhydian in at two weeks old, and shes now over a year and just fine! so if you have any questions about baby rats growing up, you can read about how she aged and see pictures here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30255

OR feel free to private message me!

*EDIT* i just realized this topic is from january.. offer still stands if needed though

Back