wild or domestic? pics of his holes added

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PitLuvs said:
Just a thought, but you said he's fine peeking in windows at them and the other pets, but not ok when they are outside around him. Sounds to me like a domestic rat that was kept in an aquarium, without much socialization. Maybe if you tell her there is a huge chance he's domestic and wont survive, she will leave those traps out.
I've said this many tmrw now....
I just left a msg explaining that im off tomorrow and will go by to please leave the trap out over night.

Its very frustrating dealing with non-rat people long distance in a desperate situation like this, just keep calm Lynds, any frustration on your part could send them away. :(

Goodluck!!!

I'm here right now no rat in the trap but he may be going into the house. One of his many holes looks to go inbetween the floor and ceiling of the up and down stairs.
I'm going to ask them to check the inside for rat poop chewing marks etc.
Lots of squirrels lol they were totally all over me.
I forgot my tuna and the smelly fleece, lots of Cole related issues going on my mind is in 20000000 places right now. I did have hamster fluff in my car and bearpaws and a water bottle. I'll take some pics and add them later.

Poor buddy.
If he lived in an aquarium... maybe putting one out on its side, with fluffy bedding, and a hidey house would entice him to come in... It would at least look like what his home used to look like.
Sending good vibes.

THis is his 'home'. He has 3 holes, one on the right side of the gas meter, one on the left, and one kinda in the middle of both, but further out.

The trap set up the ONLY way I can get her to leave it outside 24/7....

The main hole, the one he peeks from, and comes out of most of the time. This is the one on the right of the gas meter, and closest to the window. Unfortunatly it looks as though he is getting into their crawlspace, which isn't live in-able. It's got mucky dirt floors, and leaks apparently. But it's warm, so they're looking into the possibility of him being IN their house.

Close up of the main hole.

This is a bigger hole, and we're not sure if it's his, but if it isn't, it's right beside his.... This is the one on the left. This one goes straight down, and deep too. It looks like it goes along their foundation.

This hole is the one infront of the other 2, in the middle. It is a tunnel, and is very deep also, I stuck my hands in all the holes, and hten used the biggest tree 'branches' or sticks I could find, and on this windy day they were a plenty. I never felt an 'end' to any of the holes, so they all go somewhere....

I spent a total of 2.5-3 hrs there today, not a glimpse of the jerk! I called him, brought treats, made kissy noises, etc. Then I went and sat in my car and chatted with the homeowners while watching. Cole napped....
I'll be going back tomorrow, after I clean my rat cages, and get Cole off to school. Then I work thurs, fri, sat, sun.
UUUGGGHHHHH!

no, we're not 100% Jo, as i've not got a look at him yet. The descriptions from the family who's house he's living in say he's brown, and white, and when I asked them to look up pics of the wild norway rat on google, they said he looks nothing like them.... so I 'assume' he's domesticated. But until I actually SEE him, no, i'm not sure he is.
Brown with white on his feet, his whole tummy is white and white on his face.... That's her exact description....
I'm gonna try to get over there for around 11am, as theat's when they say they see him out and about...

What are you leaving for bait in the trap? You mentioned bringing tuna with you, anything else like peanut butter? It can sometimes help to put little smears of peanut butter right on the outside of the trap door and a few more smears leading inside.

Good luck!!!

ugh! STILL NOTHING!!!!
How long do I leave the trap up? Noone has ACTUALLY seen him since Sunday b/c we've all had work, etc. I might see if she sees him the wknd, then decide what to do.
Could've he left? Should I get her to ask around the nieghbours?
i'm at a loss, it's SO cold, we had snow lastnight AGAIN, and i'm worried for him.....

Back