why such a long quarantine?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkies_mama

I know why quaratine is very important, but I am wondering... why is three weeks recommended?

I brought home Tara, a two month old girl who was going to be released into the wilds of Nebraska after a pet snake wouldn't eat her (he was sick). This is night four of her being at my place, and her new home sneezes have gone down considerably. I think she got rid of the particulates in her system from the bedding she had been on. She is very unsocialized and scared, but she is improving, and I'm going to keep her with me for at least another week before introducing her to the girls at my boyfriend's apartment.
But I am just wondering, since she has improved this much already in four days and has no signs of illness, why the recommendation is three weeks.
Thanks!

Actually a full quarantine (clean out your nose, shower, change, etc) in separate airspace is at least 4 weeks.
That way symptoms of diseases such as SDA have time to appear before exposing other rats.

SQ said:
Actually a full quarantine (clean out your nose, shower, change, etc) in separate airspace is at least 4 weeks.
That way symptoms of diseases such as SDA have time to appear before exposing other rats.
Lots of people still maintain that three weeks is enough. But that depends on the source.

lindsay hannah said:
Just wondering, but what if the rat you're getting has been quarantined in there previous location?
If there was no other rodents at the location and the people who had them were informed enough to tell that the rat had no health issues during that time, it could be considered safe.

SDA (http://www.rmca.org/Articles/sda.htm)

Luckily this virus is carried and secreted for only a week and does not exist in carrier state.

BUT! there are other viruses that can hide and stay with the rat for a long time and no matter how long is your quarantine, there is no protecting your current crew... viruses like CAR Basillus or enterococcus.

Moon said:
lindsay hannah said:
Just wondering, but what if the rat you're getting has been quarantined in there previous location?
If there was no other rodents at the location and the people who had them were informed enough to tell that the rat had no health issues during that time, it could be considered safe.
ok.

Thanks for the link, jorats. From what I've seen so far, she isn't showing any signs of any illness. She sneezes still, but its only been 11-12 days since we've had her. She does get the hiccups though, and I'm watching how often/how serious they are.

Back